Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
JennyJack
Registered Users
seller

Purchasing Wool and Upcycling Wool

Those of you who purchase wool to make your own soakers and longies, where do you get it?

Those of you who upcycle wool, how do you go about finding it?

Thanks!

Advertisement

JennyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
babyike2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I bought sweaters at the Salvation Army. I looked for the largest sizes and just checked tags for 100% wool. The few I bought were Merino wool and one was lambswool.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 03-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Purchasing Wool and Upcycling Wool

What kind of wool are you talking about? Like interlock wool/spandex fabric? I think Nature's Fabric is a good resource. Or do you mean knitted and crocheted items? Cascade, Blackberry Ridge, Purewool etc. are all great basic yarns that are good for diapering. Check Spot's for deals on some nicer ones and the variegated CW type stuff. For upcycled I find its more hit or miss as to the quality of wool. I think it needs to be at least 80% wool but I prefer closer to 100% wool and I really like Merino. Doubler layered in the wetzone and interlock waist band is my ideal.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
JennyJack
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie
What kind of wool are you talking about? Like interlock wool/spandex fabric? I think Nature's Fabric is a good resource. Or do you mean knitted and crocheted items? Cascade, Blackberry Ridge, Purewool etc. are all great basic yarns that are good for diapering. Check Spot's for deals on some nicer ones and the variegated CW type stuff. For upcycled I find its more hit or miss as to the quality of wool. I think it needs to be at least 80% wool but I prefer closer to 100% wool and I really like Merino. Doubler layered in the wetzone and interlock waist band is my ideal.
Preferably interlock. Are there any coops?
Old 03-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Purchasing Wool and Upcycling Wool

I've tried upcycling to make longies. I search the men's sweater section at Goodwill and usually find merino wool. I like it because it doesn't get scratchy when felted. I also noticed that I'm finding more wool during their 1/2 off sales as summer approaches.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
JennyJack
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro_mom
I've tried upcycling to make longies. I search the men's sweater section at Goodwill and usually find merino wool. I like it because it doesn't get scratchy when felted. I also noticed that I'm finding more wool during their 1/2 off sales as summer approaches.
I hadn't thought about checking the men's section.