Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
margaretkaye
Registered Users
seller

Dress up bin ideas

My 7 yo has grown out of most of her dress up stuff (and its all worn out so I haven't kept most pieces) and my 17 month old is very interested in dress up play.
I'm looking for ideas for things they can both use, without it seeming like they don't have options. I was looking at outfits but obv they won't both fit in them so that seems like a waste.
Now they have a dr kit with a jacket(I think too big for the little one), a chef hat and apron, playsilks, a cape, a skirt, some hats, I think some gloves if we didn't toss them. I keep their Halloween costumes in there until they either grow out of them or are torn to shreds. I just want them to have more variety but I'm not sure what to add.

Advertisement

margaretkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Brinklen
Registered Users

Re: Dress up bin ideas

Thrift stores usually have Mardi Gras-style beads, as well as inexpensive costume jewelry. Or ask around, friends usually have family members with plastic jewelry that they no longer wear. The bigger, the better! Or you could do an ISO here on DS looking for bangle bracelets, plastic rings and the like. I garage sale every weekend and usually that kinda "bling" is free for the taking.
Also, don't shy away from men's hats; bowlers and fedoras are great pieces that can easily become a girly item with the right feathers and bedazzles!
Oh, and feather boas! Craft stores have feathers and feather boas for very inexpensive. And what about fans? You could even have a fun girls only craft day where you make them from popsicle sticks. Same goes for masquerade style masks (still thinking feathers and bling here!)

Hope this helps!
Brinklen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
threekstrio
Registered Users
seller

I have a really cute doggy costume that is designed to fit a variety of sizes. LMK if you're interested in it. I could let it go cheaply or trade.

what about scarves? maybe clip on flowers for their hair or on a top, long "princess" gloves...
threekstrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #4
margaretkaye
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by threekstrio
I have a really cute doggy costume that is designed to fit a variety of sizes. LMK if you're interested in it. I could let it go cheaply or trade.

what about scarves? maybe clip on flowers for their hair or on a top, long "princess" gloves...
Could I get a pic? My older one has gone through 2 dog costumes lol. So def a fav.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
margaretkaye
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinklen
Thrift stores usually have Mardi Gras-style beads, as well as inexpensive costume jewelry. Or ask around, friends usually have family members with plastic jewelry that they no longer wear. The bigger, the better! Or you could do an ISO here on DS looking for bangle bracelets, plastic rings and the like. I garage sale every weekend and usually that kinda "bling" is free for the taking.
Also, don't shy away from men's hats; bowlers and fedoras are great pieces that can easily become a girly item with the right feathers and bedazzles!
Oh, and feather boas! Craft stores have feathers and feather boas for very inexpensive. And what about fans? You could even have a fun girls only craft day where you make them from popsicle sticks. Same goes for masquerade style masks (still thinking feathers and bling here!)

Hope this helps!
Good ideas! I like the mens hat ideas. I'm thinking more along the lines of well made stuff that can take a beating and last. I hate getting stuff just to throw it out, you know? I can't wait to start garage saling again, we always have a good time. I had been wanting some feather boas too, maybe I can add that to an Easter basket
Old 03-23-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
My toddler likes to with anyone else's stuff...hats, gloves & uses skirts for my 8 yr old as dresses instead.lol. . Just help roll up like doc coat for little one. I used old clothes my aunt didn't want.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #7
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My nieces, daughters, and their friends all dig in to our dress up box, ages 18m-9yrs so I understand the need for versatility! Wings are a good one for multiple ages, I'm hoping to get some fabric ones like these:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
I think they'll hold up better than the wire ones I keep replacing. The playsilks you have are a good base, do you have a belt to use with them? We just threw in some elastic headbands and they stick the playsilks through them to make veils and skirts and all sorts of things.

Hats are always good, I personally love felt hats because I can make them myself and they can easily be stuffed in the dress up box. Princess hats, crowns, gnome hats, pirate hats, etc. I've made them all and I am not an amazing sewer

Ribbons and hair clips are also a must around here, and foot wear! There's this pair of fuzzy socks that have been princess slippers or peter pan shoes, etc and we have these little shoes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GYMBOREE-PUM...item3f0a512572 and they're almost worn through they get used for so many costumes!

A button up shirt can become a lot of different things too, and you could try wrap skirts, that way they fit different sizes.

Our girls also love their swords and cork guns (<-- alllllll DH *sigh*)
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:59 AM   #8
margaretkaye
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgkcb13
My nieces, daughters, and their friends all dig in to our dress up box, ages 18m-9yrs so I understand the need for versatility! Wings are a good one for multiple ages, I'm hoping to get some fabric ones like these:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00AC790MK/ref=nosim/chrisficti-20
I think they'll hold up better than the wire ones I keep replacing. The playsilks you have are a good base, do you have a belt to use with them? We just threw in some elastic headbands and they stick the playsilks through them to make veils and skirts and all sorts of things.

Hats are always good, I personally love felt hats because I can make them myself and they can easily be stuffed in the dress up box. Princess hats, crowns, gnome hats, pirate hats, etc. I've made them all and I am not an amazing sewer

Ribbons and hair clips are also a must around here, and foot wear! There's this pair of fuzzy socks that have been princess slippers or peter pan shoes, etc and we have these little shoes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GYMBOREE-PUMKIN-FAIRY-HAT-BOOT-COSTUME-12-24-2-3-4-/270756029810?pt=US_Costumes&var=&hash=item3f0a5125 72 and they're almost worn through they get used for so many costumes!

A button up shirt can become a lot of different things too, and you could try wrap skirts, that way they fit different sizes.

Our girls also love their swords and cork guns (<-- alllllll DH *sigh*)
Those wings are cute! It should be possible to make I would think, or even use a large playsilk. I can't see how they're attached to the body tho. My L would LOVE those booties too!! I never thought about making felt hats, Ill have to look for ideas on how to do that for sure.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
justjacqueline
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like to find outrageous stuff at GW or yard sales that DD or DS will like. Ties are good. old hats. Suits, dresses, etc. Fun and very cheap!
justjacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ties, a men's dress hat, high heels, feather boa, clip on earrings, masks
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote