Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
Mommy2JandS
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Can we talk IEPs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2wyatt View Post
So I got good and bad news.
Bad news is that it just seems the school still does not understand his dx. The deaf/hoh teacher told me yesterday that he comes home on red(they have green=good, yellow=ok, red=bad) everyday for 'not listening'. And that they aren't checking that he actually heard, understood, or processed what they said. Yesterday was his first day on green and he was so happy! It was also the first day after the deaf/hoh teacher talked to his teacher so I'm hoping that the message is getting through. .
This is actually one of the reasons I asked about his hearing loss and mode of cmmunication. Teachers around him are not making sure that he has actually heard them. Unfortunately, too, the use of FM systems is not always what it should be and teachers are human and do forget to pass them on to the next teacher. His teachers do need to do a better job of making sure he is actually hearing what they are saying though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2wyatt View Post
The good news is that at a deaf/hoh conference a few weeks ago there was an amazing speaker and she does behavior assessments. Well she looked over DSs IEP and talked to his teacher and our deaf/hoh teacher and made a list of things we need to change on his IEP. Shes booked through this year but will have us be her first assessment in the fall. She feels confident that if the school complies with the IEP that he will be fine.
So I'm feeling much better, things have been a little better at home, and I'm sure that as things get better at school he will come home happier
That is great news! A good IEP, followed carefully can make all the difference.

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
omgoodgravy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just wanted to clarify for everyone that there is a difference in job structure of a para (aka para pro and para professional) and a one on one. Requesting the correct person can have a large impact on your child's IEP and their learning.
A para is a general classroom helper, they will help with all children to aid the teacher, holding small groups and maybe reteaching lessons to a few children. This person belongs to the class much like the teacher.
A one on one is assigned to one child, their main job is to focus solely on that child and aid them in their learning. This is the person who with direction from the teacher will support your child in learning and also offer breaks if necessary.
I just want to make sure you are asking for the correct thing in a meeting because some IEP Chairpeople will not explain the clear difference to you.
omgoodgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
christinewith4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my 9yr old in on a OHI IEP-- he has a lap pad, extra time on all school stuff, pull out for testing, a bean bag chair in the corner of class for when he gets sensory overloaded, a pad thing for his desk chair, he get to choose when to do his classwork (during normal time OR during recess) & much more... but he is in a "regular" classroom

Last edited by christinewith4; 03-24-2013 at 06:03 PM.
christinewith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgoodgravy View Post
I just wanted to clarify for everyone that there is a difference in job structure of a para (aka para pro and para professional) and a one on one. Requesting the correct person can have a large impact on your child's IEP and their learning.
A para is a general classroom helper, they will help with all children to aid the teacher, holding small groups and maybe reteaching lessons to a few children. This person belongs to the class much like the teacher.
A one on one is assigned to one child, their main job is to focus solely on that child and aid them in their learning. This is the person who with direction from the teacher will support your child in learning and also offer breaks if necessary.
I just want to make sure you are asking for the correct thing in a meeting because some IEP Chairpeople will not explain the clear difference to you.
A one-on-one is a type of paraprofessional.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd is HOH...I ask for preferential seating. She is to be seated in direct line of sight of the teacher and the teacher is to do her best to be facing my dd while talking. My dd has the ability to read lips/read visual clues to fill in where her hearing fails her.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
omgoodgravy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASMama711 View Post
A one-on-one is a type of paraprofessional.
Not in my area or under No Child Left Behind (I am pretty sure). In my state, a Paraprofessional, Para, ParaPro must have the equivilant of 60 college credits they can equal an AA degree or 60 undergraduate college level credits.
A one on one only needs a high school diploma and training based on an agency. Sometimes they will use Paras as one on ones, but in my experience one on ones have the credentials I stated above.

ETA: The reason I explained the differences is for the posters above. I want you to know the proper term to ask for in a meeting. I would hate for someone to ask for a para thinking they are getting one on one care for their child only to find nope not at all. In this situation I think a one on one would be the best request.

Last edited by omgoodgravy; 03-26-2013 at 08:44 PM.
omgoodgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #17
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the replies. I just feel really discouraged with the school.
I get the feeling they are still just ignoring his special needs. The principal called me with DS and the teacher in his office and said he was in trouble for not listening and then getting upset about it and needed to stay after school to finish work he missed while he was calming down. He told me I need to be addressing these issues at home. Well we don't have issues like that at home because I know what his needs are. He needs things very clearly explained and time to process them. Yelling or talking at him just makes him confused and frustrated, he needs short and direct instructions. I talked to the principal about coming to observe again and he said 'ofcourse when you come he doesn't act out, so that doesn't help us'. I feel like they are blaming my parenting and don't want me to see what they're doing with him.
So I let him stay 20 minutes after school, when I picked him up his teacher had him coloring pictures? :scratchhead: that was the important work he had missed.
I told the deaf/HOH teacher I'm ready to switch him to another school. There is a charter school locally that our friends children with similar SNs go to and they have been wonderful. I just feel at this point if at the meeting they don't have a much better plan that nothing will change. Everyday he comes home with a note saying he wasn't listening and got upset. He has a hard time verbalizing his needs and I think his teacher has 18 other students and is having a hard time anticipating them.