Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #51
apboyles
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: what got you through transition (natural birth)?

Oh I also focused on breathing. 4 count inhale, 4 count exhale. Just something else to take my mind off of the pain.

Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #52
Crunchymommmy
Registered Users
Do NOT FSOT~File with Paypal**

My Mood:
Through the contractions I would just go quiet close my eyes and breathe deeply and try and relax. I found that if I tightened up it was worse. When it came to pushing I screamed at first but then I realized if I put all my energy to pushing and telling myself that I had to do this there was no going back there was only pushing through the pain and my baby would be here.
Crunchymommmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #53
Spicymustard
Registered Users
seller

How long do you guys think transition lasts for? The last 20 minutes was intense. I was totally focused and zen before that. Those last 20 minutes was screaming and gripping the side of the bed so hard I'm surprised I didn't break it. Dh said I cut the circulation off from his neck by pulling on his shirt so hard. Lol finally my ob helped me focus to get baby out by insisting I look at him amd then calmly telling me baby was right there and only needed a couple of pushes. He said tuck my chin and push and then it felt slightly better.

Join me on Swagbucks.
Spicymustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #54
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

My first 4 births I sort of gritted my teeth and muscled through. Not very graceful, but I made it. My 5th birth was my easiest. I had a water birth, and the hypnobirthing classes really helped me a lot. I had always reached a point (probably transition) where I just felt completely overwhelmed by the sensations of birth, and unable to focus on staying relaxed. With #5, I did reach that point, but then remembered how to stay in the moment and concentrate on what was happening in my body. DH didn't do the classes with me, so it was really just what I remembered well enough to stick in those intense moments. It helped that my MW reminded me to breathe deeply and let it all come out of my lungs instead of holding my breath. Being in the water was THE BEST THING EVER for those transition contractions. I am planning another waterbirth for sweet baby coming in the summer.

I don't really like to be touched in labor, so my support people are more for reminding me to relax certain muscle groups, help me get to the toilet, in/out of the shower, in/out of the birth pool, get me blankets, manage the environment, etc. DH is a very calming presence, and knows exactly how to hold my hand without being obnoxious.
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #55
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

I did pretty good with my first 3 births, just focused on breathing and reminded myself it would be over soon. Transition for me usually lasts about 30 minutes to an hour and I have pretty short labors. With my fourth and shortest birth I never even realized I had hit transition, I had been laying on the birthing ball and relaxing and went to use the bathroom one last time and felt a small urge to push. Ran upstairs and made it to the foot of the bed and one push and baby was out.

My fifth was my longest labor, my water broke at 6am and baby didn't come until 11:30pm so I was pretty tired when transition hit right before 10pm. I didn't handle it well at all, I was on my knees beside the bed laying over on it and I started crying and saying I was tired and the baby wasn't ever going to be born and I was tired of the pain and wanted to go to bed. Then I realized it was transition and had my husband go get the midwife who had just laid down to rest. Once I realized it was transition I did better but I do tend to get irritable and not want to move or anyone to touch me.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #56
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly with my first two, the pitocin sped me through it so fast I had no idea when transition came.

With my third and fourth I began to feel very sick and the nurse (during #3's labor) said"you are probably in transition and that's why you feel nauseated". I recognized it on my own the fourth time. I just went with it. I pictured a big wave and just mentally coached my way through it, like "just ride this out. Do this. Go with it. Breathe."
Old 04-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #57
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

100% credit given to my doula. Without her I would've caved for the meds. She reminded me that this was the time to "buck up" and that it was almost over. I remember chanting "out" over and over...like the baby was going to listen to me
Old 04-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #58
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
With my first two I was so in the zone I didn't realize I was in transition until it was over. With my third, hydrotherapy helped, but I was never able to turn in and focus like the other two, but we got through it.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #59
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle
I got through it by yelling and crying and acting like a big baby...all three times. I'm committed to natural births, but I'm not graceful about it AT ALL.
This

Being willing to accept you might do this
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #60
newmom98118
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
I got through it by yelling and crying and acting like a big baby...all three times. I'm committed to natural births, but I'm not graceful about it AT ALL.
Yep. This is me...both times.

Being able to move around and labor in different positions helped me the most. During transition and pushing I think I changed positions every 3rd contraction or so. Just kept repeating (and sometimes yelling) the word 'relax'. Deep tones were more productive than flat out screaming. But I tried it all.
newmom98118 is offline   Reply With Quote