Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
Mommy2JandS
Registered Users
seller
seller

Brushing Therapy- how do you do it?!

DS's OT would like us to try brush therapy. I'm ok with that, I bought the brush. Then we had to wait for him to get over a cold. Now I don't know how I'm going to do this. We are supposed to brush every 2 hours during the day for the first 2 weeks and preferably without clothing. I can't even get started b/c I just don't know how I'm going to manage that kind of frequency. How in the world do you do it??

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Brushing Therapy- how do you do it?!

I never had to brush that much. We used to wear a onsie and I would do 10 brushes per side of arms and hands. We did it 2-3 times per day.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Pair it with your other activities for the day. Do it when you get up, morning snack, lunch, rest time, snack, supper and bed. Now I don't know what your day looks like, but it does make it easier if you can plan it into your day.

You could also ask your OT, they should have ideas that will work for your situation. Just start, really. It becomes easier as you go along until it is just part of the routine.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Set a timer. We did every 2 hours as well. Helps a ton! I use my phone but you can use a visual timer as well so the kid can see the countdown.

Did your OT show you how to brush? You have to do it pretty hard. Dont brush the stomach or head. (Can cause vomiting) the bristles should bend all the way to the side.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I set a timer on my phone when we first started. It doesn't take too long...only about 5 minutes.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #6
ParkersMommy7611
Registered Users
seller

I would check with the OT on how they want you to do it. My son OT wanted 5 strokes per side of extremities and hands and feet with just enough pressure so the bristles don't bend. If your supposed to do it every 2 hours you may have to adjust when the last brushing is done because my son stopped sleeping and it got to the point that we had to stop brushing altogether. I know you ca. Google it "brush therapy in children" and see how it was originally designed to work (every therapists has little changes they put in to it). Good luck I hope you only have positive results!
ParkersMommy7611 is offline   Reply With Quote