Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Cathy_B
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How do I begin?

I am motivated to work out and I need some advice on removing my barriers. Any words of wisdom appreciated!

-family - 3 busy kids and a hubby with their schedules and needs leaves me little time for myself, and we are on the go a lot as a family
- My own schedule - I work a full time and part time job too, so about 60 hours a week working or traveling to work or prepping for work
- Money - money is short (this is why DH and I work so much) so gym memberships are luxuries that won't happen
-fatigue - after baby #3 I have experienced horrible fatigue. I have checked out thyroid and iron and was ok. Deficient in vitD was all. Sometimes when I feel the fatigue I try to remedy it with jumping jacks or push ups or stretches but it usually doesn't help, I usually have to grab a nap for relief

I have: a treadmill at home, some hand weights, resistance bands. Bicycle available for summer and x-country skis available for winter, weather permitting. We have a great outdoors area but I have a strange mountain lion phobia (I know it's strange) so I don't like to go far from the house. I have access to resources like YouTube for sample workouts and fitness mags from the library.

I do not have: a workout buddy or any experience.

I think I need:
- advice on a quiet morning workout that I can do before the family wakes
- advice on quickies and portables
- advice on things that I can squeeze in during the day at work without getting sweaty. I have a private office and I can lock the door for 5 minutes. I don't wear dresses or high heels I keep hand weights and a resistance band in my office and I have adequate space for push ups or jumping jacks.
- anything else!

I will really appreciate any comments. I want my daughter's mama to be a strong role model. Thank you!

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

This is the first step! Wanting to change. Honestly I'd start with eating. I work full time and am gone about 60 hours a week with traveling. I'm always too tired to work out but I lost 30lbs by following weight watchers. I've found I feel SO much better when I eat healthy. I don't crave sweets or salty foods.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Cathy_B
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do I begin?

Oh yeah, I am 5'4" and 150. 39 years.

Before 1st preg I was a stable 120 and way back in my teens I was a stable 110.

I do myself no favours with chocolate but otherwise I eat fairly well.

My goals are: 125 goal weight, the return of my waist, gain mild muscle, and eliminate fatigue if I can.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Cathy_B
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the comment on eating. Seasons play a big role here. In the summer I love to eat tons of fresh fibre in the mornings (I call it my full-fibre breakfast) and I always do well with it. It is a plate of jicama, snap peas, and almonds. It totally fills me up and I feel great, but it doesn't cut it for me in the winter when I want a hot breakie. I try hard to avoid sugar in the a.m. and I notice that one rule helps to set me up well for the day, except when I break it. That is one simple, effective (and free) thing that I can improve.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't rule out thyroid if you have several symptoms. Most general practitioners test just your TSH, which could be fine and you still have a thyroid issue. If fatigue is really your only symptom, though, it is not likely to be your thyroid.

Now, as for workouts. Netflix streams several that are 10-15 minutes long. Leslie Sansone (think I got her name right) has her Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. Most of them are a mile in less than 15 minutes. Anything that gets you moving is a good thing, even if it is just dancing crazy to some music for 10 minutes. There have been some studies that say doing several shirt workouts is just as effective, if not more so, than one longer work out, so don't feel like it is a bad thing to do short ones.

I also recommend tracking calories for a couple weeks just to make sure you really are where you should be.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Couch to 5k is a great walk-run program to do on the treadmill. It's 30 minutes, 3 times a week. Try doing that before yor family gets up.

Go for a walk on your lunch break.

The livestrong channel on YouTube has everything you need for resistance training.

Track your food. Do weight watchers online or my fitness pal.

Set achievable goals and give yourself small rewards. Small hinges move big gates! Don't look at the big picture. Focus on the right now. Right now, I can go for a 25 minute walk. Right now, I can do it three times this week.

Last edited by NotLad; 03-25-2013 at 07:27 AM.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote