Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2013, 06:18 AM   #1
babyike2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Homeschooling a middle schooler-possible?

My 14 year old ds has been having behavioral issues for the past 2 years. He failed 7 th grade but the school pushed him on, he's now failing 8th. He's also suspended a lot or stays in the office- he rarely is in class with a teacher. Could I possibly homeschool him for the rest of this year and the summer to have him ready for high school?i can't watch my son fail and I also can't deal with the nonstop phone calls

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
acwakip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschooling a middle schooler-possible?

Yes, I think you can homeschool. How is his behavior at home?

As for having him ready for high school, I wouldn't push it if he isn't there academically. My oldest is 13 and in 8th grade. This was our first year homeschooling and I am not sure if I am going to officially pass him to 9th grade or not.

Why has he been failing? Is it because of his behavior that he is failing? Does he have any learning disabilities? Is he bored at school?
acwakip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
babyike2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
His behavior at home stinks as well he doesn't get a long with his step dad anymore (wasn't always the case-long story). He's a very smart kid, reads a grade level ahead (hates reading though), and he's very good at math. He's failing because he doesn't try or turn in work. Now he's missed so much instruction that he's just behind in the curriculum.

He was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD last year, medication has NOT worked. Where should I look for hs programs for him? I want him to head to public school next year, just I think I need to be the one to "teach" him an get him there....

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 04-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
nakia
Registered Users
seller
seller

It sounds like it may help. K12 would help prepare him, especially if you don't want to invest to hs long term. A period of deschooling may also help. Get him to volunteer, find his interests, and brush up skills he'll need for high school and college.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like he needs a lot more than school help. Does he see a councelor or some sort of therapist? Has he been tested for other things like bipolar? It seems like if he isn't better at home how are you going to get him caught up over the summer if he has no desire to complete school work. Homeschooling could help but it's not the fix all.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
newbiemama
Registered Users
Formerly: justanauntie

My Mood:

absolutely you could HS him. it sounds like he needs a break from school and needs some focused, 1:1 attention. if you know specifically what he needs to work on you can start there. find some curric's that he can experiment with and get him focused on school. i'd try that for a couple of weeks. if the behavior problems don't go down, i'd recommend therapy, too. he might have underlying emotional issues that prevent him from focusing at school and obeying you and stepdad at home. i really believe he needs a break from public school.

newbiemama is offline   Reply With Quote