Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #11
blackberry75
Registered Users

Re: SNS (Supplemental Nursing System)?

It didn't do anything for my supply, but it did help with bonding and comforting Little Girl. It probably would've helped more if we'd gotten it earlier, she was 7m by the time an LC actually recommended/got one for us. All that said, we had a plethora of issues that affect my supply. I would still highly recommend one, especially if your baby is still pretty young. To me, the comfort LO get from nursing alone is worth the effort (and it is a lot of effort).

Advertisement

blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #12
Foxsma
Registered Users
seller

I've got the medela SNS, I started with the simple one with just the tube thing and upgraded to the bottle. It increased my supply a little bit, maybe an oz a day, but keep in mind I'm diabetic with PCOS and my little guy didn't latch for quite some time. I attribute the system with helping his latch quite a bit, along with just sheer perseverance, and usually on most women once the latch improves milk production goes up because they empty the breast better. It's a pain to use, I won't lie, but the bonding is great and it's especially awesome if they won't stay on the breast because your flow is slow. I don't use mine any more because he finally latched well after about 6 weeks and after 120 mg of domperidone, metformin and pumping 8 times a day as well as nursing, (and trying every herbal remedy known to man) I've sort of resigned myself to the fact that I'll need donor milk and only be able to supply him with a bottle or two a day of my own stuff. But I'm an extreme case. Remember though what my new awesome LC told me that saved my sanity: Nursing is NOT all about milk supply. So try the SNS and if it works, GREAT! If not, then nurse anyway! It creates bonding, soothes them and with my little guy even helps his tummy issues. It sucks not being to EBF but that's not the only reason they nurse!
Foxsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
ottomamma
Registered Users
seller

I'm late coming to this conversations... curious if you tried the SNS and how it worked for you? I'm due in July and planning on using the SNS as I have IGT and am thinking it would have helped me a lot with my first. She was only getting a taste from me and so she used me like a human paci (suck suck.... zzzzzzzzz) The pump got more than she ever did, so I lost what little supply I had to start with. I was introduced to the SNS when it was too late in the game so I didn't keep going with it. This time I want to start immediately! Did it feel like a big hassle to deal with and clean? Did it help with supply?
ottomamma is offline   Reply With Quote