Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Have you thought about

The vit k, hep B, silver nitrate or other newborn screening stuff?
What are you doing?

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Have you thought about

I would decline to all those as they were made for newborns with true issues. now they give them to every newborn just in case. if you know you didnt have brain trauma on baby from a vaccuum or you are not circing, if you havent been exposed to sexually transmitted diseases and your child isnt planning to roll in a horses coral, you are fine to decline all
I have always opted out of all. if I had a hospital birth I would decline and make sure baby stayed near me so there would be no chance of any of these contaminants in my newbie. there are risks to all those things listed in the research I have done.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
threelilpinkmonkeys
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would definitely refuse all of these things and I have, for the same reasons mentioned by homebirthmom. As a matter of fact (as far as I know) the vit K shot is usually the culprit for the ridiculous amount for forceful squeezing a newborn faces for the heel stick and also the reason for jaundice. It's an overdose.
threelilpinkmonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The vit. K we have to get. I saw a thread on it on the PG board and I realized we are not a candidate to skip it.

Hep B I always get on the early side because my sister is Hep B positive (she is 9). I don't live near her, but after I have a baby is a really good time to go out to see them!

I am refusing the eye drops this time. I have been tested for syphlis 9 ways to Sunday and I don't have it. Seriously I should have stock in the company that produces that test! I think I have had it at least 10 times since I have known DH (9 after marriage as it was required to get a marriage license in Massachusetts). Also from what I read, if you don't labor, EVEN if by some act of GOD that I had it, I wouldn't be giving it to my child.

The rest they can do. I know PA requires some sort of blood test for newborn screening. No sense to fight that, or the other tests that they have to do. If I have a well baby, I will tolerate a lot. If I have a NICU baby, odds are I will not know any better.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
wickedpanda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In Texas we can only refuse the testing for religious reasons which doesn't really apply to me, so I will probably let them do everything since that's what we did with my DS and he's perfect.
wickedpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
Andbabymakes2
Registered Users
seller

No eye goop, no circ (if a boy), no vit K, delay hep B, but we'll do the blood work.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
mvp529
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedpanda
In Texas we can only refuse the testing for religious reasons which doesn't really apply to me, so I will probably let them do everything since that's what we did with my DS and he's perfect.
Not sure when you had your son but I'm in tx too. You can refuse all of it for whatever reasons. No need to file religious exemption unless you want to. Texas is actually a very easy state to decline things in. I'm located in dfw and am a hospital social worker. If you so want to reuse something - go on ahead! It's our right.

Last edited by mvp529; 03-28-2013 at 09:56 AM.
mvp529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
KatieB621
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The only thing we deny is Hep B. I don't see the point in vaccinating a nb for pretty much a STD. We deny it not only at birth, but with vaccines afterwards as well. Everything I've always done, just because I've been pretty lazy about researching the rest (except circing, but in the end DH and I decided to go ahead with that when DS was born) and so I haven't had a good reason to deny the rest. We do deny several vaccines well after birth and researched all of those well before we decided which ones we were ok with and which ones we weren't. Actually, in our area there are several ped that will refuse to take your baby on as a patient if they haven't had ALL of the vaccines, including the Hep B at birth. Thankfully, the ped that we decided to use before DD was born is one of the few that will gladly let you pick and choose what you want.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

I have had one hospital birth and 4 homebirths. I have declined everything, except the newborn screening. I figure that the newborn screening is simply a heel stick, and covers a bunch of genetic disorders which can be life-threatening at worst or life-changing at best.
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I deny vaccines at a very early age. We delay our vaccines as well as select them. I cross reference the company for its ingredients and safety. I'm not all "up in that" but I hope to be back in the game with this newbie baby! I denied the hep B for my last child, and I had no issues with the hospital in doing so. However, when I tried to deny it with my daughter (7.5 years ago) they told me they would not release my baby to me!! I felt trapped and scared into making her get it. It was an awful feeling that I found out later the nurse was very wrong for saying that!

As for the eye goop and the vit k shot, I just don't know as of yet, and I will do more research on it.

I don't want my son cir'c, but my husband does. My other 2 boys are. We do have family issues on my side of the family with males who waited and weren't cir'c, and they had to do it into adulthood because of medical reasons, and my husband is 80% sure he wants our son to be done as well. However, if he's early we won't do it right away, and will make the decision later on.