Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
AngelElle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bring your own gown?

Did any of you bring your own gown to the hospital? I'm thinking about it, to facilitate skin to skin right after birth without going totally nude. It sounds like they have back access for the epidural, so I'm thinking it should be ok? Did you just call and ask the hospital or who did you ask if it was ok?

Advertisement

AngelElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
dncnshu00
Registered Users
seller

Re: Bring your own gown?

I took my own clothes to the hospital to wear. As soon as they let me out of bed (repeat C-section) I took a shower and put on my own clothes. I had a night gown with buttons down the front as well as some super stretchy pants and a nursing tank I bought at Target. Best idea I've ever had! Made me feel like myself again.
dncnshu00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Yep I take my own clothes. I treat myself to new pjs before delivery and love them! I've had four c/s and for all three repeats I've done this. As soon as I'm up, I shower and put them on. I always bring super control top panties to hold a giant pad in place too .

Bring your own, you'll be so glad you did.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I bring my own clothes too. With a child in the NICU (both times) I like feeling somewhat normal when I visit my little one.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

As soon as I was up (12 hours post op) I changed into my own clothes. Helped me feel like a human again.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
gghmommy
Registered Users

Not sure if you mean for the first few hours after your c-section or for later as PP's have shared. For me, I used the hospital gown for during and after the c-section. it's loose and has those handy snaps down the sleeves, so I could easily get skin to skin. however I did have difficulty BFing just after, so someone to help get that first latch within the first 1-2 hrs may be helpful. After I got up and showered...my clothes, stretchy/loose maternity yoga pants or jammies and a nursing tank. I had this set of jammies that was perfect, comfy pants, nursing tank with a jacket style "robe" that was short and didn't bunch, but gave me coverage if anyone visited or if I was cold (it was Feb after all).

Wanted to add, if you have an IV running, the nurses may prefer you use their gown or something with snaps, in case of emergency your clothes could be cut, probably not an issue, but if you're making your own gown it's something to consider.

Last edited by gghmommy; 03-28-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: add
gghmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #7
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

I brought my own gown. I had to use the hospital gown for the surgery, but after recovery DH helped me change (before I could even walk). Great for skin to skin & nursing, and of course, photos.

I did also bring my own clothes. I was in the hospital 4 nights for each of my C sections.
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
AngelElle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I was thinking of during the actual surgery so that I could try skin to skin and nursing right after the surgery. I really want to be able to do that but I think the regular hospital gown might get in the way. Those are good ideas about taking something for the next few days though. They had a gown with openings for nursing but didn't feel as comfortable.
AngelElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
dncnshu00
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelElle View Post
I was thinking of during the actual surgery so that I could try skin to skin and nursing right after the surgery. I really want to be able to do that but I think the regular hospital gown might get in the way. Those are good ideas about taking something for the next few days though. They had a gown with openings for nursing but didn't feel as comfortable.
I don't think the hospital will let you wear your own clothes during surgery. You could probably call and ask though.
dncnshu00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I highly doubt you can wear outside clothes during surgery, and generally you can't hold baby in the OR either. My hospital gown had snap down shoulders so you could unsnap for easy BFing and skin to skin.