Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
newcdmommy29
Registered Users
seller

So homeschool mamas...I want to do some sort of preschool with my daughter. Working on numbers/letters/reading/activities in the fall. She will be 2.5. Have any of you done anything like that before? Like maybe an hour a day. A book/activity one day and numbers another and letters another. What are some good preschool curriculums? Or where do I go to investigate curriculums? (PS I know she is young but she really has a desire to read and loves learning letters and numbers. I figure if I see her disliking it or resenting work [ie not seeming ready] we will stop and use the curriculum later).

Advertisement

newcdmommy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Newbie

Welcome. As for your preschooler I would say if you really want workbooks just the simple ones you can get at walmart or something. Her age needs to work more on fine motor like cutting, drawing lines, glueing, painting. Having her sing her ABCs and count things around the house are always great too.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
poopstermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Kumon workbooks are sort of fun, sort of frustrating at that age. there are great homeschooling blogs with tons of resources already made if you are interested. My suggestion would be to pick a topic, maybe something spring-related like flowers, and then find some fun activities to do with that theme. I do theme based learning with my babies, and it is fun! My blog is kennasfeltforest.blogspot.com but hasn't been updated in a long time. We started right before my oldest turned 2. Our leaning is montessori with schoolwork, so we do "trays" of fun games. Try to think in terms of skills- put out games for the week that focus on cutting, gluing, sorting by color, size sequencing, fine motor pinching skills, pouring, matching letters, etc. So for flowers you could cut out flowers, glue petals onto a flower, sort little flowers by color(or silk ones), order flower pictures from small to big, pick up tiny flower beads with tweezers, pour flower seeds from a little pitcher, and match the letters of the word "flower." Boom. you have your whole week planned. Then of course you need to draw or paint flowers, go on a walk to look at flowers, read books about flowers, sing songs about flowers, act out the growth of a flower, make up poems about flowers, and play flower shop.
poopstermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
poopstermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Kumon workbooks are sort of fun, sort of frustrating at that age. there are great homeschooling blogs with tons of resources already made if you are interested. My suggestion would be to pick a topic, maybe something spring-related like flowers, and then find some fun activities to do with that theme. I do theme based learning with my babies, and it is fun! My blog is kennasfeltforest.blogspot.com but hasn't been updated in a long time. We started right before my oldest turned 2. Our leaning is montessori with schoolwork, so we do "trays" of fun games. Try to think in terms of skills- put out games for the week that focus on cutting, gluing, sorting by color, size sequencing, fine motor pinching skills, pouring, matching letters, etc. So for flowers you could cut out flowers, glue petals onto a flower, sort little flowers by color(or silk ones), order flower pictures from small to big, pick up tiny flower beads with tweezers, pour flower seeds from a little pitcher, and match the letters of the word "flower." Boom. you have your whole week planned. Then of course you need to draw or paint flowers, go on a walk to look at flowers, read books about flowers, sing songs about flowers, act out the growth of a flower, make up poems about flowers, and play flower shop.
poopstermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Welcome, Welcome! Personally for me, I just find teacheable moments and teach at that age, and make up a "lesson" at that moment. For example, if she shows an interest in shape, I might take out some colorful paper and cut out different shapes and teach her their names, or just make up some recognizeable shapes with them like the house. Or, cut out bigger shapes and smaller shape and pretend one of them is a mommy and the other one is a baby and have them play hide and seek... becuase mommy and baby thing and hide and seek are what my girl is into. lol

Other than that, file folder games can be fun. We also have fun on abcmouse.com.

If you are into work books, a dollar tree has some.
You can also print out free printables for her. Mazes and coloring pages can be good at that age to practice hand coordination, I think. She could practice cutting and pasting with plastic safety scissors too, the kind that only cuts paper and nothing else.

And of course, reading, reading, reading.

I love using a lot of manupulatives and visual aids.

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote