Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2013, 03:40 AM   #11
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

Right there with you. My daughter was so easy! My son had asked for a week. I feel terrible, but know its time.

Advertisement

knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Re: I just need to commeserate... (Weaning toddler)

i haven't even started with my son because I know it's going to be SO ugly. He's sooo attached to nursing. I really want to nightwean. He'll be 2.5 next month and it's TIME. I'm just going to start sending DH into his room when he wakes. That's assuming I can get my DH on board. As of now, my son screams every time DH tries to comfort him.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake
Nightweaning is no picnic, but I do think it's worth it once it's done. To nightwean my two, I chose certain hours that I would not nurse at night, and then stayed in the room or in the bed (in the case of my DD, who was cosleeping) with them and they screamed at me, threw a sippy cup at my head , tossed and turned, asked for milkies, etc. I patted, sang, shushed, snuggled, offered water, and other kinds of comfort during the no-nursing times. It was rough. But I found that if I gave in once and forgot what my plan was, or didn't pay attention to what time it was, it took so much longer.

With my DD, I was very inconsistent and nightweaning took 5.5 months. With my DS, I was more consistent, plus he is a more relaxed little guy, and it took a few weeks--but some nights were ok, some were great, and a few were terrible. But in both cases, nightweaning saved my sanity and my nursing relationships and was 100% worth the difficulty.
We did this. No nursing 11pm to 6 am. With dd1 it took a week of all night rage. With dd3 it's taken much longer mostly because sometimes she has managed to sneak in a nursing when I wasn't fully awake and that set us back.

Right now (35 months) I nurse her down and put her in her bed. She wakes up around 2am and comes to mine but she goes back to sleep without nursing until 6 ish. It took us about 6 months to get this far.

last week I had to get up at 5:30 so she missed her morning nurse and she was MAD lol.

I have to go on a two week work trip in May and I am thinking we might use it to wean. She already does fine if I am not there.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #14
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Update:

I decided to nurse him only when he wakes up in the morning, at nap time (on the couch/sitting on the bed) & at bedtime (the same.) The first two nights he was up fairly often. The 3rd night he gave me a 5 hr stretch & last night we slept the first full uninterrupted 8 hours in almost 2 years. Hooray!! he's a bit fussy but getting lots of cuddles. I'm proud of him!
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #15
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sounds like alot of progress! Stay strong, were almost totally weaned here and it's nice to have my life back!
Old 04-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #16
momEmac
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake
Nightweaning is no picnic, but I do think it's worth it once it's done. To nightwean my two, I chose certain hours that I would not nurse at night, and then stayed in the room or in the bed (in the case of my DD, who was cosleeping) with them and they screamed at me, threw a sippy cup at my head , tossed and turned, asked for milkies, etc. I patted, sang, shushed, snuggled, offered water, and other kinds of comfort during the no-nursing times. It was rough. But I found that if I gave in once and forgot what my plan was, or didn't pay attention to what time it was, it took so much longer.

With my DD, I was very inconsistent and nightweaning took 5.5 months. With my DS, I was more consistent, plus he is a more relaxed little guy, and it took a few weeks--but some nights were ok, some were great, and a few were terrible. But in both cases, nightweaning saved my sanity and my nursing relationships and was 100% worth the difficulty.

Is there somewhere else you could temporarily put DS1 so that he won't wake up, either because DS2 is screaming, or because your DH is there instead of you? Is there a chance that DS1 would be more accepting of your DH cosleeping with him since it's happened (though not very successfully) once or twice before?
This is similar to how I night weaned my DS. He was used to staying latched all night and using me as a pacifier. I set times throughout the night, like 12, 3, 6, etc. and only nursed for 20 minutes and then it was done. It took a couple of weeks and then I slowly eliminated feedings one at a time. He screamed in my arms and I would do my best to comfort him, but in the end he just had to learn to sleep without the boob. It was an exhausting process, and since I can't sleep when cosleeping I then had to teach him to sleep in his own crib, and then finally I had to teach him to sleep through the night. It was long, but now he sleeps 10 hours in his own crib and goes to sleep on his own with a smile and blowing me kisses as I walk away. But the weaning was the hardest part. I think that part took about a month. Consistency is absolutely the key!

My iDevices are out to get me. Please excuse mistakes.

buildingmyhealth.my90forlife.com/
momEmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #17
Solcatia
Registered Users

Re: I just need to commeserate... (Weaning toddler)

Congratulations mrseum! That is wonderful progress!! That is how we started weaning as well. Tiny steps along the way, as you are both comfortable. We took it really slowly, so that both of us were comfortable and still feeling secure. Great job Mama! :-)
Solcatia is offline   Reply With Quote