Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Would you consider renting...

An apartment in the next town over so that you could use it as your home address and go to public school in that town? If the next town over had an incredibly good school system, but the taxes and real estate were so expensive that you couldn't afford to buy there?

Advertisement

SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Would you consider renting...

Do you mean rent the apartment and actually live in it, or rent it just for the address? The OP is confusing me, lol.

I put a premium on education.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow, that is a really interesting question. I can't ever see us doing that, but we don't fit the bill (homeschool and live rather frugally)

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
No, but we have zone variances here.

I do know that there was a rash of people doing this and their schools found out and took them to court etc. so I would be very careful abut doing it.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'd probably make friends with someone in that school district and use their address
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post
Do you mean rent the apartment and actually live in it, or rent it just for the address? The OP is confusing me, lol.

I put a premium on education.
Rent it just for the address, a cheap apartment. But live in the house you wanted, outside the school zone.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
No, but we have zone variances here.

I do know that there was a rash of people doing this and their schools found out and took them to court etc. so I would be very careful abut doing it.
Can you explain zone variances? :-)

I've never heard of schools taking people to court, it seems like if you had the address and paid taxes, you'd be able to go to the schools, right? Funny.

Dh was considering this, and I'm not so sure, it feels fishy. Even if there aren't anything legally wrong with it (and now it sounds like there may be).
Old 03-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Some schools allow for a transfer request - I'm assuming it's not an option and you've probably already looked into this . . .
Old 03-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf
An apartment in the next town over so that you could use it as your home address and go to public school in that town? If the next town over had an incredibly good school system, but the taxes and real estate were so expensive that you couldn't afford to buy there?
In a heartbeat.

My kids are only 5 & 2, and we have a good inexpensive private option for preschool. But when it's time for kindergarten/1st grade, we'll be moving to a different part of town bc the school in our neighborhood is seriously underperforming and we have a huge gang problem.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #10
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf
Can you explain zone variances? :-)

I've never heard of schools taking people to court, it seems like if you had the address and paid taxes, you'd be able to go to the schools, right? Funny.

Dh was considering this, and I'm not so sure, it feels fishy. Even if there aren't anything legally wrong with it (and now it sounds like there may be).
Our district allows parents to speak with their principal and get a zone variance to another school in which the other principle has approved.

And if you do not live in the home it isnt your residence. They take them to court because schools lose federal and state funding that is alotted for that student at a specific school.

Will get a link to the story I first read about it in.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote