Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #131
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: WTH Victoria's Secret????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
Thank you and to other poster who saw my point. I actually am a very conservative (not compared to some mamas here though lol) with my young kids. We allow tankinis as soon as they are potty trained however no skin is to show and they are to wear a coverup outside in public. I don't allow any of my children under 18 to wear short shorts except in our house or the farm (we have a 1900 farm house and can't a/c the whole house and it gets HOT), NO sayings on the butt, and even ruffle butts aren't allowed so much except under a long dress, no midriff showing, etc.

I guess maybe because my children don't do the mall? Until about 12/13 I dont really notice. I don't shop at the Mall with my young kids because i buy used or from online. My teens go to the mall to buy clothes sometimes but they have their own clothes budget. If it is coming out of money that we have given them for school clothes they are required to get all clothes approved before tags get taken off. They must meet school dress codes and must meet our codes. I do have extremely busty daughters so yes they have cleavage. I don't mean you can see the tops of their boobs but they do have a "swell" There is just no hope for that. In my how I don't want to see anything from T to A. If you bend over and i see the tops of your thighs then you can take it back.

You know what bothers me way more than VS? Is stores who don't make dresses to fit tall girls. My daughter is 5"10 and finding her a dress that doesn't come to mid thigh or high is IMPOSSIBLE and longer dresses are usually too formal. We are constantly adding a ruffle or a band around dresses and skirts just to get it to the top of the knee. Now this makes me frustrated.
The standards for your little girls sound the same as mine. My oldest is only six, so we will cross the rest of those bridges when we get there. Not really looking forward to it, though! I think I am more sensitive to it because of our warmer climate, which induces people to wear much less clothing than up north. My parents live in Maine, and they are always shocked at the amount of skin hanging out down here. Even stuff that I don't notice anymore, they do. I guess it's all relative.

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #132
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtojande View Post
Yeah, I was a bit on that one too. Boy shorts cover more, right? Why is that wrong?

I do not expect to ever be okay with my daughter, while she is a minor, wearing undies with some of those sayings on them. However, what's considered provocative or acceptable changes with the times. Probably most of the shorts I wore in my childhood are too short by today's standards. But it was the 80s, and short were short, and it wasn't a big deal. Boys, too, wore short shorts -- nowadays that's supposed to be weird and boy "shorts" come down to the knee. (That looks so hot in summer, poor kids! Even their swim trunks these days go halfway down the calf. And yet, on most boys their swim trunks hang down too low and show half their butt. Strange rules we've got for boys clothes these days.) For that matter, look at the dresses Shirley Temple wore, or look at dresses worn by girls in the 50s.
Yes, what's with boy butt-crack being acceptable? Yuck.

My niece was watching TV here one weekend and an episode of the Brady Bunch came on, which she'd never seen. She wanted to know why everyone was wearing shirts with no pants. I never noticed how short their dresses were!

I personally am on the side thinking that it's up to parents to know what their kids are doing. My mom did my laundry up until I was old enough to pick my own clothes and then have the additional privilege of doing my own laundry, so she sure would have knows every piece of clothing I had.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #133
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post

I personally am on the side thinking that it's up to parents to know what their kids are doing. My mom did my laundry up until I was old enough to pick my own clothes and then have the additional privilege of doing my own laundry, so she sure would have knows every piece of clothing I had.
ok, well my kids start doing their own laundry at 10. I know what my kids are doing. They start shopping for themselves at about 15. What do you mean know what their kids are doing? wearing you mean? i know what my kids wear (well i dont police their underwear because i feel at 14(my son likes brief shorts)16/18 they can decide on their panties (or underwear for my ds).

Do you think 10 year olds are buying clothes that their parents dont' know about? I am just confused by what you are saying i guess.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #134
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf

ok, well my kids start doing their own laundry at 10. I know what my kids are doing. They start shopping for themselves at about 15. What do you mean know what their kids are doing? wearing you mean? i know what my kids wear (well i dont police their underwear because i feel at 14(my son likes brief shorts)16/18 they can decide on their panties (or underwear for my ds).

Do you think 10 year olds are buying clothes that their parents dont' know about? I am just confused by what you are saying i guess.
Ah, that wasn't directed towards you. I must have deleted my multi quite and lost Celeste's post talking about kids being provocatively dressed at the mall and something to the effect of, maybe the snuck out dressed okay and changed without their parents knowing, but that's probably not the case.

But to your posts? I think they are great posts. My mom bought me adult panties in HS because she goes for quality and fit.

I can understand if my second part was unclear with the missing quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #135
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wearing sexy underwear doesn't making someone sexy or sexually active. I have worn thongs since I was around 12 or 13..its my underwear of choice. I liked them at the time because they didn't show underwear lines when I wore my wranglers. I am definently not a "sexy" person LOL.

Anywhoo. Its just underwear. What a person wears under their clothes does not make them who they are (hell even the cloths don't make the man).
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #136
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
And I'm way more bothered by inappropriately young-dressed older women, bleached out and over tanned, wearing "PINK" across their butts (usually with whale tail) &/or the low-cut VS tank w/ super-padded push-up bra that only serves to show off their raisin-skin boobs and babies-gone-by stretch marks.
This made me want to laugh and cry all at once. These older women still want to feel like they have it. Perhaps they are going about it the wrong way with ill fitting clothing, but I don't think that mature women have to automatically cover themselves from head to toe and let their mammaries drag on the ground.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #137
Angel89411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf

My dad and grandmother had no clue. I hated thongs and wasn't sexually active until almost 19 but I had all color undies with words and no one knew. They didn't really know what I bought or did. So yes, there are parents out there with no clue.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #138
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
This made me want to laugh and cry all at once. These older women still want to feel like they have it. Perhaps they are going about it the wrong way with ill fitting clothing, but I don't think that mature women have to automatically cover themselves from head to toe and let their mammaries drag on the ground.
Oh gosh, that wasn't what I was getting at at all! There are plenty of ladies staying sexy & aging gracefully (Jamie Lee Curtis? Helloooooooo Nurse! ). I'm just appalled at how ridiculous women, young and old, are when trying to be beautiful. Whether it's dressing too old or too young, women miss the mark more than they hit it, in terms of making the most of their assets. They don't know how to dress their shapes, what hairstyles look decent for their faces, etc. If we spent less time trying to look like somebody else, or at least trying to look like someone else tells us we ought, and more time really being honest with ourselves about our health, our comfort level, our assets, and even those areas that no one else should see, and trying to honor that, I think that women would not only look better, but they'd feel better about how they look
carriek38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #139
Angel89411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38

Oh gosh, that wasn't what I was getting at at all! There are plenty of ladies staying sexy & aging gracefully (Jamie Lee Curtis? Helloooooooo Nurse! ). I'm just appalled at how ridiculous women, young and old, are when trying to be beautiful. Whether it's dressing too old or too young, women miss the mark more than they hit it, in terms of making the most of their assets. They don't know how to dress their shapes, what hairstyles look decent for their faces, etc. If we spent less time trying to look like somebody else, or at least trying to look like someone else tells us we ought, and more time really being honest with ourselves about our health, our comfort level, our assets, and even those areas that no one else should see, and trying to honor that, I think that women would not only look better, but they'd feel better about how they look
Yup. I agree. I feel better when I stop trying to be who I feel people think I should be.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #140
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
I agree with you quite a bit in general posting, but I super agree with you here. Trends seem to run at rapid speed now, and there are many people who feel a need to try each and every one without regard to their figure and what's flattering. Does anyone look good in a poncho?

I wish friends/family/salesladies were more honest with people. It's so helpful to know what styles and cuts actually flatter your body, rather than someone throwing out "yeah, you look GREAT!" without regard to how one actually looks.