Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
delladea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Angry Serger Issues

Long story short, I traded sergers with my mother for a while. She had some complex projects coming up that required a reliable serger. I have a no-frills Babylock BL89 that's about 15 years old. All I've ever used her for is basic 4-thread and 3-thread serging and she's never given me any trouble.

My mother's serger is a Viking Huskylock 1002LCD. She told me the machine was "posessed" and required swearing to stitch properly. Mom also bought this machine refurbished from the same shop I bought mine at less than a year ago.

So, after this thing has been sitting on my office floor for the last two months, I needed it to finish the edges on a dress I'm making for DD. I set this machine up for 3-thread, and no matter what I do, I cannot get the tension to behave! I started at the manual suggested settings for tension and the loops were WAY too loose. I unthread and rethread, thinking I didn't hook something somewhere - same thing. It's like the machine will stitch OK for a few inches then it just seems to puke thread into the loopers and I'll get major overlap. I cannot seem to get the thread snug to the edge of the fabric no matter what I do. Sewing slow or fast doesn't seem to matter.

I never, ever had this much trouble with mine! I'm just wondering if anyone else has used one of these sergers and had this degree of trouble.

Advertisement

delladea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Serger Issues

You have adjusted the tensions?
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
delladea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmsrk View Post
You have adjusted the tensions?
Yes. This serger has suggested tension settings for each type of stitch in the manual. I started with those and they seemed very loose on one layer of fabric. After fiddling with each tension setting I haven't been able to get it to make an even stitch.

The upper looper seems the most touchy.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wasn't sure from you original post, I thought you just looked up the setting and left it.

Well after trying the basics, re thread, change needle(s), try new thread, adjust settings each time it may just be the machine is off and needs to be serviced because the timing or the tension disks need adjusting.

You can also try to clean between each tension disk with some non linty cotton fabric or unwaxed dental floss.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
COgle3
Registered Users
seller

I just had the same problem with my upper looper. I spent 45 min and no prevail. Turns out every time you thread it, you need to rethread all of them. I cleaned mine a bit, changed needles, and retreaded them all instead of just retreading the thread that was the problem. Hope that helps!

Sew Love For Love
http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewloveforlove
COgle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you have completely unthreaded, cleaned, oiled, changed needles, retreaded properly in the correct order, set your tension to what it says in the book and it still isn't working, your machine might need to be timed.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
delladea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmsrk View Post
Well after trying the basics, re thread, change needle(s), try new thread, adjust settings each time it may just be the machine is off and needs to be serviced because the timing or the tension disks need adjusting.

You can also try to clean between each tension disk with some non linty cotton fabric or unwaxed dental floss.
Changing needles was one thing I haven't tried yet. I will try cleaning the tension disks, I did clean and oil the inside where the loopers are but did not clean that!
Old 03-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
delladea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'm going to try a few more things before giving up. I'll be getting my workhorse back at the end of the week anyway and I don't have but a few pieces to serge until then.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The wrong size or an old needle is one of the top reasons for skipped stitches. I bet that will clear things up.