Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #31
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
My mom just gave temporary guardianship or custody or something to my grandparents because they were in district. When the school year was up, everything went back lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Advertisement

Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #32
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Would you consider renting...

I wouldn't, I do think it's unethical. And extremely risky if the school finds out.

From the high horse of my only daughter's toddlerhood, I'd move to a hovel in a good school district - or commit to the district I'm in, and do what I could to benefit it/my kid, on the grounds that if it's not good enough for my child, it's not good enough for anybody's child.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #33
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
Rent it just for the address, a cheap apartment. But live in the house you wanted, outside the school zone.
Not sure if they will take you to court here, I can ask my mom, however they will kick your kid out fast. You have to live, not just have a place, in district here. Then again this is a highly sought after district. I would live in the nasty trailer parks to make sure my DD attends here if I have to. I live in really nice income based housing at the moment. By nasty trailer park I mean run down, if you stay to yourself your fine, and you can find clean bug free trailers. Late and loud parties frequently outside and just bad location to.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #34
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

No I wouldn't. Xh and I live 2 miles apart in diff school districts. Since we have joint, they go to the school in his district but if we wanted them at the school over here, we'd use my address. But they spend 50-50 at each house so either place is their "primary residence"

sry 4 abbrev, im 1 hnd-ed typng & nak frm my iPhone
Old 03-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #35
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

We will be renting out our house in our small town, and moving into town to rent in the school boundary we want the kids to attend. I will probably be offered a teaching job there as well. When we bought this house 8 years ago we didn't have kids, it was supposed to be temporary, and the school district was alright. It's still ok, but due to budget cuts they are down to 4 day school weeks and big classes. Ds needs speech as well. I think it will be better for us to just move.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #36
Shaunam
Registered Users

I would, if you are actually using the apartment for any reason. Have utilities on and everything. Heck you could even camp there once a week to make it more legit. Lots of people have two residences...kids from split families, people with a lot of money that like summer homes, etc. If you can pick the residence of the state you want to vote in, I don't see this as any different.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:11 AM   #37
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomom View Post
That doesn't work here. You have to also show a minimum of 2 utility bills in your name for the address in question.
How is that possible in a roommate situation?
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:49 AM   #38
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes

We also have to show 2 utility bills for kids to go to PS. My dd is in preschool at the local PS and I had to bring my water bill and power bill. They dont accept cable or phone bills. In the case of roomates etc there is a waiver that needs to be notarized and sworn in front of a notary. It is not easy to get around.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:11 AM   #39
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

No. Do people do it, yes. It gets confusing when your child says they live in xyz but yet their records say lmnop.
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #40
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
When I had roommates we'd split utilities, so it is possible. We have to show 2 bills as well. If I remember right the choices are: utility bill (water or electric), cell, mortgage statement, lease, home phone/cable.

ETA: No, I wouldn't do it. If I'm going to go through the expense, I'd just live there.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene

Last edited by sojomisa; 03-29-2013 at 06:49 AM.
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote