Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone in Thailand? :)

I also have to add that we never gave our underwear to the maid to wash. It wasn't "polite". Shimpie, what is your experience. Will they do diapers since they hand wash mostly?

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post
I also have to add that we never gave our underwear to the maid to wash. It wasn't "polite". Shimpie, what is your experience. Will they do diapers since they hand wash mostly?
The maid washed our underwear and I have never heard this is impolite. All the maids that worked for my friends and I did all the laundry including underwear.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #13
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb96 View Post
The maid washed our underwear and I have never heard this is impolite. All the maids that worked for my friends and I did all the laundry including underwear.
Maybe as foreigner I was told a fib and believed it.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
ShirleySH
Registered Users
seller

I currently live in Bangkok. My daughter was born just one month ago and we have been using cloth diapers since we brought her home from the hospital. We are fortunate to have both a washer and dryer in our apartment so luckily we don't have to deal with air/hang drying. However, when prepping my diapers and inserts for first time use I did experiment with putting them out to air dry. The hemp inserts I had took forever!! The humidity definitely adds to the overall drying time!
ShirleySH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #15
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleySH
I currently live in Bangkok. My daughter was born just one month ago and we have been using cloth diapers since we brought her home from the hospital. We are fortunate to have both a washer and dryer in our apartment so luckily we don't have to deal with air/hang drying. However, when prepping my diapers and inserts for first time use I did experiment with putting them out to air dry. The hemp inserts I had took forever!! The humidity definitely adds to the overall drying time!
Thanks so much for your input, and congratulations on your new little daughter!! So dryers are available then...I was more under the impression that no one had one. I think I'd love to have one just for adjusting purposes...this will be my first time to live overseas, and with a growing family, we do a lot of laundry, of course!

What kind of diaper do you use? You mentioned hemp. I am planning to use cotton flats, I think. I already use them when I travel. I love my MEOS fitteds, but the more I research the worse the idea seems. I always use wool covers, and plan to continue with those. My LO gets a rash from PUL and disposables even when I don't leave her sitting in them very long! And I thought we'd just go coverless around the house if it's too hot.
epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #16
ShirleySH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by epanouie View Post
Thanks so much for your input, and congratulations on your new little daughter!! So dryers are available then...I was more under the impression that no one had one. I think I'd love to have one just for adjusting purposes...this will be my first time to live overseas, and with a growing family, we do a lot of laundry, of course!

What kind of diaper do you use? You mentioned hemp. I am planning to use cotton flats, I think. I already use them when I travel. I love my MEOS fitteds, but the more I research the worse the idea seems. I always use wool covers, and plan to continue with those. My LO gets a rash from PUL and disposables even when I don't leave her sitting in them very long! And I thought we'd just go coverless around the house if it's too hot.
Thank you! I have been using gDiapers with microfiber inserts. I bought some hemp inserts just to see what they are like so I use those occasionally. I tried the Grovia newborn AIOs but the fit wasn't very good and there was leaking. The gDiapers work great on her and most of the time I am only washing the inserts so drying doesn't take too long.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #17
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

Thank you! I have been using gDiapers with microfiber inserts. I bought some hemp inserts just to see what they are like so I use those occasionally. I tried the Grovia newborn AIOs but the fit wasn't very good and there was leaking. The gDiapers work great on her and most of the time I am only washing the inserts so drying doesn't take too long.
That is great!! It always makes me so happy to hear of mamas using cloth from the very beginning so good for baby, environment, and your wallet! If you have any other advice on living in Thailand, especially with a baby, let me know...I'll have a newborn in my arms about seven weeks after arrival!!!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #18
ShirleySH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by epanouie View Post
That is great!! It always makes me so happy to hear of mamas using cloth from the very beginning so good for baby, environment, and your wallet! If you have any other advice on living in Thailand, especially with a baby, let me know...I'll have a newborn in my arms about seven weeks after arrival!!!
Sure happy to share advice. I'm no expert, just had my first baby a month ago but learning new things everyday! You might already know this but Bangkok is definitely not a stroller friendly city. Sidewalks (whey they are there) are horrible, sky train stops don't always have elevators, motorcycles often drive up on to the sidewalks, etc... You're best getting a carrier to get around town. Also not sure if you'll have your own car but if not and you'll be depending on taxis realize that most of them don't have seatbelts so forget about using the carseat. If you haven't already check out http://www.bambiweb.org/en/. Its a great resource and they organize events so you can meet other mothers.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #19
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

Sure happy to share advice. I'm no expert, just had my first baby a month ago but learning new things everyday! You might already know this but Bangkok is definitely not a stroller friendly city. Sidewalks (whey they are there) are horrible, sky train stops don't always have elevators, motorcycles often drive up on to the sidewalks, etc... You're best getting a carrier to get around town. Also not sure if you'll have your own car but if not and you'll be depending on taxis realize that most of them don't have seatbelts so forget about using the carseat. If you haven't already check out http://www.bambiweb.org/en/. Its a great resource and they organize events so you can meet other mothers.
Thanks, this is great info!