Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #41
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: would you. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post
Yes I would. I wouldn't even consider not going unless someone is sick.

Normal bedtime at our house for my 4 and 6 year old is 8-8:30pm. They are both fine staying up later and do on many occasions. They would be perfectly fine.

As for the little brother, I would leave him home and have something special planed for him, even if it something simple and a new game on my tablet or an extra cartoon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
Yes, of course. Staying up a little later and having sweets, kiddo will still be wiped out from all the bouncing. And if not, well it's a rare special treat and the sugar will wear off soon. I also don't think siblings should be catered to for things like this. Those places charge per head, families generally can't afford to include siblings of the invited kids.

Take the younger one another day, and let the 5 yr old enjoy being a big kid one night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
I'd go. I'd not take the sibling, as even though he's tall, he's still much younger and not in the class. Kids don't have to do everything with their siblings. Plus, the siblings haven't been invited here and I don't like putting hosts on the spot about including more kids. Most will say yes, even if they really don't want younger kids there. It'll be a fun time for your DD to enjoy with her school friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermommy1 View Post
I'd take them both if they were both invited. I'd leave the little one at home if he wasn't invited.
I agree with all of this. A night of fun at a party with friends won't be the end of the world if your LO gets overtired. We tried to keep a fairly consistent bedtime routine while the kids were little, but we also did our best to make them portable so that we were not tied to a bedtime. The kids learned to sleep in cars and on friends' couches, etc.

But, I would never bring a younger sibling who was not specifically invited. Just because a host says you can bring them doesn't mean that it is really okay. Perhaps they simply don't want to be rude. I have been that parent put in an uncomfortable position. One party we were at a bounce place that was expensive to start with ($200) for up to 15 or maybe it was 20 kids. Well, we had 5 people bring siblings and wound up 3 kids over our limit. $30 that I hadn't planned to spend. I wasn't comfortable asking for $$ from the 5 families (after all, 2 of the siblings would have been fine). So that party wound up costing extra. To top it off, I had an extra goodies bag or two, but had to use my children's goodies bags (including the birthday child) to give to those extra kids. Sure, I didn't have to give my kids' goodies bags. But, the siblings were young and how do you explain to a 3 or 4 year old that they don't get the nice fun bag that everyone else got. Please don't put other parents in that uncomfortable position. 3 isn't too young to learn that you don't always get what your siblings get.

Advertisement

Last edited by z2akids; 03-29-2013 at 11:40 AM.
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #42
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd take my kid to the party and deal with the fallout if it happened. At least it will probably be after the party is over when he has his meltdown and it's only a one time thing. I'd want him to be able to be at the party and have a good time.

Edit: I would not bring an uninvited younger sibling unless it was a very young infant that couldn't be away from Mommy.
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...

Last edited by cheezpoofs; 03-29-2013 at 10:15 AM.
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #43
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Take her and leave him with Daddy to do something "manly". And if she gets uppity with him, remind her that she won't be going until she fixes her attitude.

My middle kids are 5 and 4-14.75 months apart. Girl older. We've been in the same situation and little brother gets it. Now that my little girl is in public school, her brother is the one who gets all the invitations.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #44
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'd take the older one and leave the younger one home. Yes they throw a fit but that's ok they weren't invited. Mine are 18 months apart and don't always do everything together. We miss bedtime on Wednesdays for church but only go if they nap and are not cranky before we leave. We change into Jammie's at church and they fall asleep on the hour ride home and we just pop them in their beds. No big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #45
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I'm starting to think my children are abnormal. None of them stay asleep from the car to the bed. Not as babies, toddlers, or preschoolers. Unfair! lol Seriously, even the oldest who sleeps like a rock.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #46
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes I have done it minus the siblings. It was fine.