Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #31
Paislie98
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to FF at hospital after birth?

With both babies ff from the get-go, I was offered one brand, but it was the one I wanted so I didn't feel the need to ask for others. I feel lucky too I guess bc I was never pressured to try bf. my hospital was very supportive w both ff babies

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #32
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
That's really difficult to believe. What if mom has serious complications and can't BF, or god forbid dies during or after birth?

What about all the babies in the NICU? Parents provide their own formula from outside the hospital?
I just came back and read that... the hospital is small. It doesn't have a NICU. I attended my birth classes there because it was closer than the hospital I gave birth at. Later, I went to the New Mommy group they host. (It is hosted by the nurse that taught the birth class and is the LC) They do not give out formula samples. The volunteers at the hospital make little travel diaper bags to give away. They have no formula in the L & D department. They are 100% pro-breastfeeding, natural birth, etc. Of course ... I'd be happy to give you their phone number in a PM & you can always call and verify.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #33
ilovemygirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
They have no formula in the L & D department. They are 100% pro-breastfeeding, natural birth, etc. Of course ... I'd be happy to give you their phone number in a PM & you can always call and verify.
I can't tell you how much I really hope they get sued for this ... and I'm sure it will happen. Eventually someone is going to NEED formula for their babies (lots of examples why have been given). I can't imagine it's legal to tell a woman who just gave birth - that may or may not have family to assist her - that her babies need to starve during the duration of her stay there because they just don't feel like having food for babies. This just makes no sense to me. They have food for adults. Why wouldn't they have food for babies for the same reasons they provide food for everyone else?
Also, I wonder if this is a misunderstanding. My hospital is self described as baby friendly. I received a whole packet about BF. It states all the services they have to support it and goes on and on about all the reasons for BF and that they don't participate in the formula samples BUT they also say they will provide formula in the hospital if needed and/or chosen after an informed decision has been made. Is this possibly a birth center you are talking about?
ilovemygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #34
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

They must have it on hand, for medical reasons. But they do not HAVE to supply it to you for FREE. Bring your own. We bring our diapers....

Where I birth, there is nothing there that is given to you, for free. If you need formula, they'll happily bill you for it. Which I think is reasonable. You do know you are giving birth. You do pick out a homecoming outfit, ectx it's just part of your hospital bag, if you choose. It's likely under lock and key and given out to those who need it, not choose it. There is a difference, agree with that or not. And if a patient gets it, they PAY for it.

Perhaps that's where the miscommunication is happening. They are not going to give it to you, just cause. But will sell it to you for cash or bill your insurance (which likely won't cover, unless medically necessary)
Old 03-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #35
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemygirl

I can't tell you how much I really hope they get sued for this ... and I'm sure it will happen. Eventually someone is going to NEED formula for their babies (lots of examples why have been given). I can't imagine it's legal to tell a woman who just gave birth - that may or may not have family to assist her - that her babies need to starve during the duration of her stay there because they just don't feel like having food for babies. This just makes no sense to me. They have food for adults. Why wouldn't they have food for babies for the same reasons they provide food for everyone else?
Also, I wonder if this is a misunderstanding. My hospital is self described as baby friendly. I received a whole packet about BF. It states all the services they have to support it and goes on and on about all the reasons for BF and that they don't participate in the formula samples BUT they also say they will provide formula in the hospital if needed and/or chosen after an informed decision has been made. Is this possibly a birth center you are talking about?
They bill insurance for food adults eat. I am sure that's the process for formula. Nothing should be free, like formula, IMO. So.. If I don't take it- can I get a credit? Kwim? So I would think its like anything else. You pay for it. They will not GIVE you a drop.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #36
ilovemygirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
They must have it on hand, for medical reasons. But they do not HAVE to supply it to you for FREE.
I never said it should be free. I agree with you that everything should be paid for whether it be billed or through insurance.
I'm saying it should be available for those who need it and yes, I'm saying it should be available to those who have made a decision to choose it. Just like I don't want to bring all my meals for the two or three days I will be at the hospital, I don't want to bring all that formula either. What if I'm there longer than expected or just miscalculated and don't have enough?
I'm all for promoting breastfeeding and I think it's great that hospitals are supporting that now but I don't think it's fair to discriminate the other way either.
ilovemygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #37
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemygirl

I never said it should be free. I agree with you that everything should be paid for whether it be billed or through insurance.
I'm saying it should be available for those who need it and yes, I'm saying it should be available to those who have made a decision to choose it. Just like I don't want to bring all my meals for the two or three days I will be at the hospital, I don't want to bring all that formula either. What if I'm there longer than expected or just miscalculated and don't have enough?
I'm all for promoting breastfeeding and I think it's great that hospitals are supporting that now but I don't think it's fair to discriminate the other way either.
Oh I wasn't insinuating your thoughts were one way or the other. I'm just saying, I think they let the patients know that there is no free formula in their hospital. And unless your baby is prescribed some, you better bring it!
Old 03-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #38
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

There is a local hospital that was on the news because they had a new policy that they wouldn't provide formula for FF moms and babies. (I'm sure they had medical/ emergency exceptions.) They said the parents were expected to provide the formula. I think that the hospital is expected to provide meals for its adult patients and it should be expected to also provide meals for its baby patients. Obviously the cost of these meals would be factored in as part of the lump sum or per meal or however they want to charge for it, but its really ridiculous that the hospital thinks it shouldn't have to provide nourishment for a whole population of its patients.