Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Gift question

What do you buy your kids for gifts? I'm trying to par down the stuff and have two bdays coming up. I think I'll tell the grandparents that they need summer clothes because they do. Both have outgrown everything. I bought my 7 yo a cheap video camera with the accessories and she may get her ears pierced. The baby is getting a bounce and spin zebra that I got at a thrift store and probably something from her sister. Any ideas? We have art supplies out the you know what now so that's not an option.

Advertisement

Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Gift question

Maybe I'm not the one to ask because we overdid it last Christmas...lol

I don't have a problem with gifting so long as some toys get purged as new ones come in. I keep lists of things the kids need & ideas I get in the off season to pick from when the time comes. I also "upgrade" their things sometimes....like they each got a plasma car last year and we got rid of all other ride ons.

Their Easter baskets this year has all matching beach towels (so we can stop fighting over the toy story towel -lol), new sippy cups and a couple clothing items each of them needed. Also, a bunch of those baby food pouches. They love those. I figure any gift where I don't have to come up with a new storage solution is alright in mybook. Lol
Old 03-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
jj7202
Registered Users
seller

This year for Easter I saw on Pinterest instead of putting candy in the plastic eggs you put puzzle pieces and once the eggs are collected you can put together the puzzle, so that is what we are doing this year! In his basket will be some candy, a little bouncing chick, and a card game (old maid) and some bubbles.

My son turns 3 this April and he is loving board games so we got him Candy Land, Shoots and Ladders and Don't spill the Beans. I love that they are all things we can do as a family!
jj7202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I love the beach towels and puzzle ideas! Yhnakd!
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

We try to take the kids places - like skating or the zoo. They get enough gifts from other people that it's already hard to deal with!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
photocat
Registered Users

Lego, lol, just about every time. My boys are just turned 5 and about to turn 8.

It always has a ton of bits, of course, but they are small bits, we have no babies to eat the bits and the boys like to keep any 'sets' they have together.

So star wars spaceships...the ship gets made up, any spare bits go in a ziplock bag with it's instruction books. The ship gets played with, sometimes pulled apart and remade into something else, but mostly, the pieces from that set stay with that set.

So it's not all a giant mess of blocks and it's all smallish stuff. And, I figure they/we can sell sets when they are older if they don't want them and they want $$$ for something.

Apart from that, they usually get a zip up jumper/hoodie with a favourite character on it (the last ones were lego ninjas), a book of some sort...usually a lego encyclopedia....lol, see a theme here? My boys are ALL ABOUT LEGO atm. Maybe a new stainless steel drink bottle. That's birthdays, anyway.

I go for useful things and things that pack down, can go in bookshelf, things that are needed etc.

Both my boys have birthdays in March and April, so extended family giving gifts to each boy and a combined birthday party with their friends, plus something from each other and dh and I....I have a big bag of donations from their room in the boot of my car this morning to go. We are in the middle of the birthday/party thing at the mo.

Edit: from family for xmas, we asked for character t-shirts, particular x-box games they wanted, their own camping equipment, lego.

Last edited by photocat; 03-29-2013 at 08:11 PM.
photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love the puzzle idea!

Op, if there isn't anything they actually need, I try to do consumables. moon sand, crayons, craft stuff, etc.

Sent from my droid
Old 03-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Shutterfly had a sale recently so we picked up a custom photobook to give to DD for her second birthday coming up. She LOVES to look at her family. Last year we did a cheap little flip book with photos of family members.

If we don't do consumable toys or experience gifts (a trip or membership), then we do one or two big things. This year we're thinking about a balance bike an ergo doll carrier. I've purged tons of toys, so there is space for the things we want... versatile toys that can serve many purposes.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:
This year we mostly got DD used, mostly educational games from thrift stores. She's still young, so right now she just loves playing with the pieces (I pack 'em up at the end of the day so she'll actually have the pieces she'll need when she finally starts to play them). II also used some of her gift money to get plain playsilks that we'll dye together w/ food coloring. The more I purge, the easier it is for me to see what she likes which makes shopping easier.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote