Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #21
momnixon
Registered Users
seller

I completely get where you're coming from, OP. when I was a babysitter at 14 and on, I was a busy babysitter. While kids were awake I was playing and entertaining, coming up with stories and imaginary play... and when i needed to i was cooking, feeding, and changing. Then, once kids were asleep I was putting kitchen in order, cleaning up supper dishes and picking up stray toys. Now if they came home while kids were awake, the house might not look fantastic 'cause I would prioritize playing and entertaining the kids.... Because TV was considered by me to be a last resort.... Like while I was cooking or dealing with baby.

I was thinking about this recently when DH and I got home from date night. The 20 year old girl that was babysitting said the kids had watched a movie for the hour she had them before bed. We had dinner ready before we left she just had to put it on the table... She texted at 7:30 to say everyone was asleep... We got back at 10ish and found all the dishes on the table, toys still everywhere, etc. I just thought it was weird that she didn't play or read with them or clean-up at all in the 2 hours after they went to bed.... For which I am paying her to sit in my house on her computer, apparently.

I'm gonna tell my daughters that when they babysit, whether or not they're getting paid, they should leave the house as it was and do whatever they can if kids are sleeping... 'Cause it's just a nice thing to do!

Advertisement

I'm an accidental hippie who loves BFing, CDing, Milkshakes, and Jesus.
momnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #22
Newton
Registered Users

Re: Expectations for teenage babysitters

My only expectation is keep my kid safe (including food she eats) and entertained. Even if DH watched her I would clean up after them. I am paying for child minding not cleaning services.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #23
kkleinman
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton View Post
My only expectation is keep my kid safe (including food she eats) and entertained. Even if DH watched her I would clean up after them. I am paying for child minding not cleaning services.
I don't expect our sitter to do any cleaning. She is 14 and all I expect of her is to take good care of our boys and to have fun.