Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2013, 09:50 PM   #11
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I actuality had a cop check my seat one time. I got pulled over for going a little to fast but that's another story :/. Anyway, he checked it and asked who installed it for me. When I told him I did he was floored because he was so used to seeing them used incorrectly. He thought a professional had done it. Made me feel good to know I was doing it right

Advertisement

Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

That's funny also because the "professionals" aren't supposed to install. They're supposed to teach parents how to. If someone does it for the parent, they're probably not up to date anymore, or not a CPST.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I saw a great one yesterday. :eyesrollout: A kid who got a Dora car seat for Easter. The strap covers are about half a foot long. It forced the chest clip to cover her belly button. Awful. And creepy.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:39 PM   #14
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory
That's funny also because the "professionals" aren't supposed to install. They're supposed to teach parents how to. If someone does it for the parent, they're probably not up to date anymore, or not a CPST.
I didn't realize this because I've never had anyone show me. You'd think the cop would though lol. I just read the manual. Over and over and over...I loved installing my britax. It was so easy. My radian is more confusing since there are more options.
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:57 PM   #15
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
Probably going to get unfriended, but 3 more pics this morning put me over the edge.

Here is what I wrote...
Mamas---if kiddo is forward facing in his/her carseat, the straps need to be coming out of the slots at or above kiddos shoulders. This prevents spinal cord compression in a front end collision. If rear facing, the straps should be at or below the shoulders. The chest clip is a pre-crash positioner, and should be at the armpits. Straps should be as tight as your bra strap. If kiddo is taller than the top slots, the seat is outgrown and needs to be replaced with something larger. I know I am carseat crazy, but something like 90% of people aren't using their seats correctly. Seatcheck.org is a great resource to find a local tech if you aren't sure about things.
Whoa glad I read this thread I just learned something new! Thanks mama! Dd is rf and is 9 months but I didn't know this

"If kiddo is forward facing in his/her carseat, the straps need to be coming out of the slots at or above kiddos shoulders. This prevents spinal cord compression in a front end collision. "

Now I do thank you!
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #16
77Lipen
Registered Users

Omg so true.

One of my mommy groups this woman was complaining about improper use of car seats and she posted a picture of her son as a 'what was right' photo.

I really had to restrain myself as he was way to short for where she had the shoulder straps set.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:10 PM   #17
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Lipen
Omg so true.

One of my mommy groups this woman was complaining about improper use of car seats and she posted a picture of her son as a 'what was right' photo.

I really had to restrain myself as he was way to short for where she had the shoulder straps set.
Omg! There was a nice mama at my Gymboree class week after week I would see her baby buckled in so loosely and the chest strap was near her belly button.

One day I just apologized and said please don't take this the wrong way but I am a Carseat natzi and I just started tightening everything up and said this is supposed to go by the armpits & it needs to be tight enough for just 2 fingers to fit. Then I said it is buckled tight for safety not for comfort. She was so thankful & said she didn't know.

I felt so good knowing her wittle baby was safe once I stepped outside my comfort zone.
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #18
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Do you ever feel like posting on Facebook...

All the time. Actually, I'm not on fb, but DP shows me pics & I cringe.

But then again, I've flat out asked friends to NOT talk about car seats at gatherings b/c I don't have enough restraint to keep my mouth shut. I try to do it in a joking manner, but I'm fine with being the crazy car seat lady...especially after a friend told me a few weeks ago that her (almost) 5yo "had" to go into a backless booster (he's smaller than my 38lb/39" 3yo DD) b/c there was NO way he could still be harnessed or in a hbb "b/c the belt cuts into his neck" & didn't like my response that she either didn't have the seat adjusted properly or it wasn't a good seat for her kiddo. Though I have had a couple of people ask, when DD was still RFing, to see her in the car, just to see if ERF is comfortable, where LOs put their legs, etc.
carriek38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #19
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do you ever feel like posting on Facebook...

Haha yep, we went out to dinner on Thursday with a group of people dp works with. A couple had their sweet 8 wk old there and daddy buckled it into the seat. They were good with no coat or anything, had the clip at the right part but didn't tighten the thing? I wanted to ask them if they were going to do it but dp wouldn't let me =/ he told me it was a 'to each their own' thing...I would have KILLED him if he ever buckled one of our kids up like that. You would think physicists and engineers would figure out strapping a kid in.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #20
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I hate this too. I have a cousin who puts pics on all the time. Poor kids (3 of them under 5 yrs) are NEVER buckled in correctly. I want to say something so badly, but just can't. They'd take it the wrong way, like I'm implying I'm better than they are. I've just stopped looking.

Good idea though, to post a pic with everything correct and say why it's correct (harness height, chest clip, straps right, correct seat, etc). Might be a way to get through to people w/o making it obvious.

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote