Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #21
frugalmomof2
Registered Users

Hi mamas! I'm new to this forum and to homeschooling. We are part time HSing right now as DS is enrolled in private preschool till the end of the school year and I'm in full time college classes. We recently made the decision to homeschool based on our local offerings for education being less than adequate and I'm really enjoying it, as is my DS. After this semester, I have only 1-2 classes per semester and we will be HSing full time both DS (5yo 1st grade level) and DD (3yo preK level). Our summers are busy and our focus is just on HOP K-2nd for DS. He's reading at advanced Kindergarten right now. Just finished up ordering most of our curriculum for fall. Found everything used for around $150 for DS and I need to order DD some preschool supplies still.

Oh, and I'm in Iowa and owe a thank you to a mama ont he Parenting Board for encouraging us to explore HSing since our local education options are inadequate by our standards and private school was going to cost us an arm and a leg. DS enjoys HSing so much more than regular school and states "he's never bored when we do school at home but always bored" when he is at preschool.

Anyway, Hi!

Advertisement

frugalmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #22
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: HS Check-In March 25-April 1

Welcome frugalmom! Glad you made a decision, sometimes deciding what to do is the hardest part.

It's been slow in here, does everyone have big Easter plans?

As for us, we did school today because I felt like we were behind from all the sickies. Plus, I'll be honest, I see the light at the end of the tunnel and I'm ready to finish up the year!

We are planning to plant some seeds later today, other than that we've got everything in.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #23
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We were planning to take next week off, but evening sickness changed plans for us. We took this week off, and will be untraditional doing a rachenkas eggs unit next week.

We aren't doing a lot for Easter. I made a dress for ODD, and need to iron dresses for the other girls. I'm also hoping to finish crocheting some little bunnies. Otherwise, there will be an egg hunt, and that's it.
Britches~in~Stitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #24
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hello Frugal Mom.

Not much going on here. We are finished for the week other than some free reading for Kearnan and a few more chores. Friday is our cleaning day/chore day so it is light on school. Things were a bit slow yesterday and felt like I had to kind of pull everyone along most of the day. I cut my thumb badly on Wednesday so I've been kind of off. The boys are having to pick up the slack for me cleaning and I've had to skip TKD since I can't do any hitting or grappling.

We won't be doing anything in particular for Easter, it isn't one of my favorite holidays. We have been on an elimination diet which makes it a bit harder because we can't have eggs or milk so chocolates and Dyed eggs are sort of out. I may go ahead and let the boys dye eggs on Sunday and we can do a trial of adding them back in starting Monday. I want to try out dying with shaving cream and food coloring. I have some toys for their baskets (I bought a Kindle for Kearnan to encourage his new love of reading and some pirate accessories for Tharen). So that will be fun. Not sure if we will even bother with an egg hunt.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #25
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Got roped into watching my nephew today. Sometimes I start to feel like we have more non school days than school days.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #26
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Welcome Frugal Mom~~we are in Iowa too, welcome to the group

Jen~~I'm right there with you. We are taking today off as my older boys have today for Spring break. But right back at it tomorrow Hang in there.

AFU: DD told me yesterday that she decided she would like to stay homeschooled rather than going to Jr High PS next year. YIPEE!! I"m so happy. She wants to still do sports at the school but that won't be a major issue--it will be a pain until we are able to get moved as she is already open enrolled to that district. Sometime next week I need to start looking into curriculum for her next year. I haven't had a Jr High student at home before
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #27
7mom7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Got roped into watching my nephew today. Sometimes I start to feel like we have more non school days than school days.
I felt that way a couple of weeks ago...seemed like something was always coming up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysweetseven View Post
AFU: DD told me yesterday that she decided she would like to stay homeschooled rather than going to Jr High PS next year. YIPEE!! I"m so happy. She wants to still do sports at the school but that won't be a major issue--it will be a pain until we are able to get moved as she is already open enrolled to that district. Sometime next week I need to start looking into curriculum for her next year. I haven't had a Jr High student at home before
Can she still play sports at the school even though she's HSed? I don't think our district allows that.

AFU: We're working on social/behavioral skills today. I feel like this may be something we need to focus on a bit more for the time being. I bought some cheap books from Mardel and I've reserved several other books from the library.

In a small victory, my MIL (a former elementary teacher) got on board with the homeschooling plan. She's never really been gung-ho about it but we had a chance to talk one on one this weekend and she's had a change of heart. I'm really excited to have her in my corner now. She's a valuable resource but I've hesitated to talk much with her about HSing because she hasn't loved the idea. I'm excited that I won't have to tip toe around something so major in our lives!
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #28
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So happy for you with your MIL!!! Mine IL's were very against our HSing in the beginning and my DH's brothers still are (I posted a long vent last year about it). It is wonderful to have someone like that in your corner!!! WooHoo!!

Yes, we are fortunate in our state we have several different ways that we can choose to homeschool and if we dual enroll, which basically means we can pick and choose the resources from the schools that we want. The school district still gets a large portion of the tax dollars for that student too rather than loosing out completely on that money. It is a nice option for some families. We use their standarized testing, sports and an occasional book.
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #29
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are taking today off. DH's parents are still here until tomorrow, so I figured that we could "skip school" today. I am leaning towards speeding up the last of MFW-K also. We have 8 weeks left if we do 5 day weeks. DS is doing really well and asking to stuff other stuff(like learn cursive or focus on certain topics) so I was thinking of shortening each unit to 3 days and focusing on the reading/phonics and math.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #30
Texasmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I so need to get back into this schooling for the last few weeks we have been busy with other things so schooling was put on the back burner.