Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
indigo152
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaga

Guilty of both.

Suitcases b/c the IL's gave us a set with a bunch of pieces, and DH and I each had 1-2 suitcases before that. Feel bad getting rid of the set from the IL's but this reminds me that they're only taking up room and have to go.

Boxes were from our professional move. They're too nice to recycle. We used to move every 2 yrs or so, so we got used to hoarding boxes. Now we're in a house we own, so it's unlikely we'll move in the near future. We have the room though (and they're broken down flat), so we'll probably keep them (just in case? I know, it makes no sense).
Hehe, guilty of both here, too! I am always saving cardboard boxes in the basement to use for storing things, shipping items, or as a donation box.
As for the suitcases, I had a set that I used years ago in college. There is a very large suitcase and a large duffel bag. We never use them, tho.I was actually thinking recently that I should purge them. Maybe I should dust them off soon, and see if they would sell!

I think the list is helpful to just become aware of all the items that may be overfilling your home. I plan to take a look through the list this week, and address at least three items. Suitcases will be one of them!!

Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lol guilty of empty cardboard boxes! I keep every shipping box that hasn't been destroyed in case I need to ship something that doesn't fit in an envelope. We also have most of the boxes from our last move (good boxes, not from grocery stores or whatever). We had planned to rent this house for 6 or more years but apparently the owner had other plans. We are moving in 2 weeks!

We have a 2 year lease on the new house and hope to stay at least 4 but I'm sure I will be keeping the boxes that are still in good condition. Just in case.

But I will be printing up that list. How much more can I get rid of before/while packing?!
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
88. Army men

LOL i know they are referring to little green plastic men but was the list written by a marine?

We've already minimized most of that - except for craft/sewing/scrapbooking stuff. I have actually been thinking about going through a couple kitchen cabinets though, weeding out the mugs and so forth. I tend to drink my wine from jelly jars these days anyway.

We actually had a suitcase moment a few weeks ago - minimally packing for a week long trip and we found that half our suitcases are totally useless - missing zippers, legs, wheels... WHY are they still here?!

Last edited by DottieHarley; 03-30-2013 at 11:18 AM.
DottieHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
savanna.
Registered Users
seller

I hoard boxes lol and old candle jars, the nicer ones like bath and body works.
savanna. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #15
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: List of things that can be reduced in your home.

I am sorry for the empty boxes thing. I had no idea some people saved them. We once moved on average every 6 months yet still didn't keep boxes. We just went to the local fast food restaurants and restocked when it was time to move again. Fry boxes are the perfect size for just about everything.

I guess for me getting rid of things is a reaction to growing up with a hoarder. I do save some things like cookbooks and kitchen equipment. Recently since my youngest was born I have hoarded diapers. Otherwise I have never tended to keep much. My walls are currently bare. I have informed both my mother and mother in law anything bought to decorate my home will find it's way to the trash. I remind them of this every couple of weeks so as to not have to toss brand new items. I don't have the time nor energy to sell or donate so to the trash it will go. In our last move I tossed a brand new wall picture. It wasn't exactly cheap either but I didn't want it nor could I return it. So again to the trash with it.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #16
SarasynFox
Registered Users

My Mood:
We keep boxes too. We've moved so many times that part of my problem was no longer feeling the need to unpack. That's when I realized I needed to work towards being more minimalist. What's the sense in moving stuff I don't even feel the need to unpack?

As for the boxes, when we know we don't want to stay in a place and it's a short term solution, like the trailer we're in that was just supposed to be temporary until a bigger one opened up, we keep the boxes we use for specific things that are hard to fit, or electronics. We had all of the boxes for our game systems for a while. We used them to move the systems in. We're hoping after this next move to stay in our place for the next 5 years, then move back up North, so we won't be keeping the boxes. Well, maybe a couple, one to hold everything to donate until we can drop it off, the other for books we plan to rehome.
SarasynFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #17
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh no offense taken! I'm sure we all have items where we say "who would ever save that?!" Lol. Fast food restaurants huh? I'm going to send DH there this week! You can never have enough boxes pre move.
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #18
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

On the right hand side is a link for Popular Posts. There's a bunch of really good ones in there.

The list is nice, but I think there are better decluttering tools out there. It's a great "big picture" list, though. He's got some great articles, though. There are a lot of blogs on minimalism out there, but i find this one to be more universal, less anecdotal.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #19
crystallion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is great, thanks for sharing!
crystallion is offline   Reply With Quote