Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B
So here is another question

What if you are a single mom of 3 kids and do not work and have $0 income besides child support ($10,000 per year). (You eat off of food stamps and wic) would she get a refund for the 3 kids?

I know a lady who has this situation I have described. And dh says if you don't work you don't get $ back.
He also says if a mom were single (say she has 3 kids) and made $20,000 in a year. If she had $4,000 withheld from her check she is only eligible to receive $4,000 back although she has 3 children. I think she would get $3,300 per child. What are your thoughts on these 2 situations I have described?

Not true at all. She would qualify for EIC and most likely get back everything she paid PLUS a few thousand more! She wouldn't qualify for the child tax credit though.

Eta- even the woman who gets child support and state aid could file taxes and get money back. The 2nd scenario is much more common. I was a single mom with 2 kids and made probably $16,000/yr? I would get a refund of easily $6,000-7000 which was all I had paid plus EIC!
Kristi, Mommy to Josh & Nick (identical twins 6-97) Nathen (3-02), Joey (2-04), Jacob (11-05) & Aaron (12-11) I sell Tupperware!
"A person's a person, no matter how small..." Dr Seuss

Last edited by TwinKristi; 04-01-2013 at 07:06 PM.
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote