Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
Zoethink
Registered Users
seller

How much blood is there during delivery?

I am planning a VBAC any moment now. I am hoping to be unmedicated. I just want to know how much blood to expect during delivery so I don't freak out.

I had placenta previa with my son and started bleeding at 37.5 weeks. DS was delivered just over four hours later, but in that time I bled enough to soak probably about 6 over night pads. In that case I knew it was bad to be bleeding, but everything was under control.

I know bleeding is normal, and that my MW will be reassuring, but I just want to be prepared.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How much blood is there during delivery?

With a few of mine I started bleeding during early labor and bled like a regular period until they were born but with my last two I didn't do that at all, no blood until they were born. I tend to bleed a little heavier than normal afterward because my placenta takes a while to come out but it's still not that much.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
MakingHome
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you don't tear, You don't have hardly any blood during delivery. It's the placenta detaching that brings some blood and etc afterwards.

I aim to encourage Christian women at Making Home.
MakingHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
katiegud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't bleed until she was actually born. I bled quite a bit with my placenta, also had a tear. I was in a hospital though, so there were nurses with towels mopping everything up. Knowing me it was more blood in my head than it was in reality. The placenta also left a large scab internally that came loose a week or so later and I thought I was bleeding to death at the pediatrician's office. No one ever told me that could happen, so I like to tell people in case it happens to you.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
pester
Registered Users

I never bled until delivery. At that point I didn't notice. I actually bled a bit more than my midwife would have liked afterwards and I had no idea. They just took care of it and I never really saw. Wasn't really looking though. FTM I was a little distracted by the baby. :-)
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
It can depend on a lot of things. Tearing or not. Placenta issues or not.

For me -

Dd1 no bleeding prior to birth. No tearing. I had period like bleeding for a week that just got less and less until 4 weeks.

Dd2 a very little bleeding before. No tearing. Similar bleeding after.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For all of mine - no bleeding before, just a bit of pinkish mucous.
A bit of bleeding just before pushing, which I was not really aware of - just remember my midwife noting it. (you've had a bit of a show again, you should be fully dilated and can push if you want.)
Moderate amount of bleeding after placenta was delivered, and then heavy period-like bleeding for the first 24ish hours, with a few clots. Everything decreased from there.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
jackobeano
Registered Users
seller

With DD1 I just had a tiny bit of bloody show right before pushing. Then when I went to deliver the placenta it was partially retained and I had to have a manual extraction. They estimated about six cups of blood loss. Right before I stopped bleeding they said if I didn't stop they would have to take me into the hospital. I ended up anemic after her delivery. With DS and DD2 I had normal deliverys of the placenta and the normal about 2 cup blood loss. Much smoother with their births and placentas.

ISO/IHA
jackobeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingHome
If you don't tear, You don't have hardly any blood during delivery. It's the placenta detaching that brings some blood and etc afterwards.
This has been my experience too. I had a tiny bit of bloody show with one of my kids, but it was just a streak of blood on the pad I was wearing.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:57 AM   #10
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always start to bleed immediately after birth with the placenta detaching, and I tend to bleed on the heavier side. With my first I delivered the placenta naturally, with my second two I needed some pitocin to speed it up as I was losing too much blood. It really can vary, my sister hardly bled after delivery.