Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #21
Angel89411
Banned

DS1 didn't talk much until 2.5 years and was behind other kids in some things. Then, right at 2.5, BAM! Now he's ahead of the game and won't hush.

Advertisement

Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #22
sweetpeapumpkinbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: TV time Question (& a mini vent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLad View Post
Your parents are wrong. Toddlers do not tv to learn to speak. They need language interaction. Read books, have conversations with him.
This. Children learn far better from actual life, being around and talking with actual people. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...s-bad-the-kids
TV viewing is not good for young children, and is not really educational. Check out "The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family Life" by Marie Winn
and "Endangered Minds: Why Children Don't Think And What We Can Do About It" by Jane M. Healy.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #23
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I don't think anything sounds wrong with your child. And nothing that I think tv will solve.

My daughter has had extremely limited access to tv. None in the first year and like an hour a week between 1 and 2. She is the girl who knew her entire alphabet (upper case) before 21/22 months, knew her numbers and had all her books memorized. Because that's what she was/is interested in.

But that doesn't mean anything. Certainly some of her other friends do things she doesn't. Like play on their own, imaginative play, etc. they have strengths that are different from hers.

Now, my cousin's son is 'speech relayed'. But, I think it's actually due to the large amount of tv he watches. Since he's been in therapy, he has grown in leaps and bounds in his verbal skills. Which was quick really. Attributed to the fact that he just really needed the strategies of how they speak with him more.

Anyways... My point is. No, tv isn't the answer. Reading, interacting, etc is all you need.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #24
hellorocketship
Registered Users

If it makes you feel even better, AAP says no TV under 2 is best. They say "Pediatricians should urge parents to avoid television viewing for children under the age of 2 years. Although certain television programs may be promoted to this age group, research on early brain development shows that babies and toddlers have a critical need for direct interactions with parents and other significant caregivers (eg, child care providers) for healthy brain growth and the development of appropriate social, emotional, and cognitive skills. Therefore, exposing such young children to television programs should be discouraged."

So don't worry, you're doing perfectly, and your son is right on track developmentally. I teach 24-28 month olds, and some of them are about where your DS is or even a bit behind him. To answer your question, no, you don't need to introduce TV if you don't want to
hellorocketship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #25
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My oldest was like the little girl you described, but my other three certainly were not. They were not delayed either. There is quite a big range of normal for little ones. They all develop at their own pace. Your son is just fine and better off without the TV.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #26
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

I'm going to be biased, because I don't like TV. At BEST I think TV is a treat, like donuts. Not a staple like vegetables. And like donuts you can point to the eggs and flour and say it's a health food, but you'd be kidding yourself. I don't expect to be healthy eating donuts all day, and I think it's silly to expect kids to get smart off of TV.

I would tell your parents that you are following the guidelines recommended by virtually every pediatric medical and psychological association. You have made your decision and you appreciate their input, but will not be exposing your child to TV until you decide he is ready. And I'd remind them that this is a parenting decision you and your spouse both agree with, and ask if they would agree to support you in this.

The things that set kids apart aren't how many words they learn from Sesame Street, it's personality, character and coping skills. What will matter in 5 years is how imaginative, how engaged, and how self-controlled your child is. TV inhibits all those things, or at the very least does nothing to help them. As a nanny I loathed TV because it negatively impacted how the kids behaved (more tantrums, more whining) and greatly decreased their ability to entertain themselves, issues that become less tolerable as kids age. So now as a mom I want to focus on building skills that are less easy to instill later. The alphabet? A kid can learn that at 5 or 6 without any negative impact on their future, they will be just as literate as the kid who learned the alphabet at 2. The ability to sit quietly without needing instant and constant outside entertainment? That's harder to teach later, and it can certainly prove a lasting problem. So I want my toddler to develop the latter. Long-term skills that build character, that's my goal for young children. Don't trade meaningful skills for word count. It's not a good bargain.

Last edited by Palooka; 04-03-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #27
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
My ODD is advanced and always has been regarding speech, reading, colors/shapes etc and we don't allow ANY tv until at least 3 and then it is a rare treat. OTOH DS had the same rules and he is very delayed. He is just a different person than she is and he has his own set of strengths (he can climb really well for example, whereas ODD can't climb STILL and she is 7)

I would stick to your guns and keep working with him on vocabulary building. He will learn from you, not a tv

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote