Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
ahblessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Help please!6 now,possibly more, what van/suv? UPDATE, seats don't fit in suburban!

I never knew this forum was on DS! I am so glad I found it. We only have 6 right now, possibly more in the future, but for now DH is wanting to replace our GMC Safari XT van because he would like AWD/4WD for the winter instead of the rear we have now, which is horrible. (It also hasn't had heat for two years, and has things that need fixed that will cost more than the van did It also has a strange setup on the passenger side for feet, only one foot can go into the space, the other has to rest up on a wheelwell, and I have bad knees and it's pretty painful for me, so a Chevy Astro (the AWD van same as ours) is out.

We would prefer not to get a 10 or 12 passenger yet, the gas budget isn't that big, so we are looking for a Suburban or Yukon XL, or a larger minivan, and minivan would be better for the gas mileage.

Do any of you find Suburbans/yukons roomy enough with 8 total people? Is it just a real pain to always flip the seat down to let them into the 3rd row? Do any of you drive a larger minivan that could possibly ever fit 8 people and a stroller? I peeked in a Honda Pilot but it hardly had any trunk space. We will be paying cash so it needs to be 2004 or older. Thanks!

So we got a suburban and the car seats don't fit! We have 2 in backless boosters (one is old enough now though to not use a booster so that will help), one in a high back booster, one with a 5pt harness, one in his convertible seat, and my 6mo old rear facing in his infant seat. We all need to go somewhere in 2 days together and we are wondering if we should try to find new super narrow seats or if we need to sell the burb and get a 12 passenger van? Anyone have advice? The seats I saw recommended are pretty expensive and we would probably need three. We can't put anything besides a booster in the 2nd row outside because that seat has to flip down to let kids into the back row. The suburban was a great deal and we got to pay cash so I'm not sure we can even find anything in our range. Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by ahblessedmama; 04-10-2013 at 01:52 PM.
ahblessedmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Lisathena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 6 now, possibly more, what van/suv?

I love the Toyota Sienna's w/ 8 seats, thats my dream car!! We have almost 5 in an 03 sienna and it only seats 7, i am wishing for an upgrade! LOL
Lisathena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

honestly the gas savings between the 12 passenger and a yukon are not going to be that different

However I also have an 8 passenger Sienna that I love, but wow was it costly
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
yellowitchgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
ahblessedmama
Registered Users
seller

I saw Siennas online but how is the trunk space for a stroller/groceries?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can easily put my phil and teds in the trunk and fill it up at costco- I wouldn't say it's got a ton of room, but it isn't totally cramped either
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
yellowitchgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
ahblessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help please!6 now,possibly more, what van/suv? UPDATE, seats don't fit in subur

Bump for update, seats aren't fitting in suburban
Old 04-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Help please!6 now,possibly more, what van/suv? UPDATE, seats don't fit in subur

Can't the kids just climb over the middle seat to get to the back row?

We have an Expedition and that's what our kids do.

We have the older two kids in the back row. They can buckle and unbuckle themselves, and the babies in the middle row, so we can buckle them in. Our kids crawl under the carseats and climb over the middle row and get in the back and buckle up. They're kids. No big deal to them!

Are you facing the convertible and 5 pt harness forward facing or rear facing?

I'd do this:

1 backless booster and one high back booster in back seat with one forward facing carseated kid in the back row.

Rear facing kid on outside of middle row, then other two kids on that row in whatever config you'd like.

When the kids get in, they can climb over where there is no seat (or put the seat down, or whatever), buckle in the younger kid in the back, and then buckle themselves in.

Would that work for you?

If you need to be able to reach in back to adjust the youngest one's buckles, then just have the kid with no seat sit on the outside of the middle row and put the kid who needs the carseat in the rear row directly behind that. Then you can flip down the middle row right there and reach back (or hop in) and adjust straps/buckles, flip the seat back up, and you are good to go.

I definitely would NOT get a new car to fix a carseat problem. I'd get new carseats. Far easier, cheaper, and less of a headache.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
ahblessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Kiliki, yes, we'll be putting down the seat for them to climb into the back, and some will crawl under, then my oldest will sit in that seat that folds down. (we have 8 family members, the suburban fits 8 so no empty seat). The convertible and the 5pt harness are forward facing, and my infant's will be rear facing for at least 9 more months. The older kids usually buckle themselves with no problem, but now the space is so crammed they can't even get their hands in between the car seats/boosters to grab the buckle. I've tried too and it's really hard. I don't fit that well either to be buckling all of them back there. If we end up getting Radians (which seem like the only carseat that is narrow enough), they are about 300.00 and we would need two of those, then a narrow infant one was around 99.00, so 700.00 more didn't seem cheaper than getting a different car (although definitely less of a headache like you said!)
Old 04-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Honestly that is why we ordered our 12 passenger GMC Savanna after we had 6. It was too crowded and our Suburban just didn't fit us anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblessedmama View Post
Kiliki, yes, we'll be putting down the seat for them to climb into the back, and some will crawl under, then my oldest will sit in that seat that folds down. (we have 8 family members, the suburban fits 8 so no empty seat). The convertible and the 5pt harness are forward facing, and my infant's will be rear facing for at least 9 more months. The older kids usually buckle themselves with no problem, but now the space is so crammed they can't even get their hands in between the car seats/boosters to grab the buckle. I've tried too and it's really hard. I don't fit that well either to be buckling all of them back there. If we end up getting Radians (which seem like the only carseat that is narrow enough), they are about 300.00 and we would need two of those, then a narrow infant one was around 99.00, so 700.00 more didn't seem cheaper than getting a different car (although definitely less of a headache like you said!)
Ok, how about...

Middle row - booster, RFing infant, booster

Rear - big kid no booster, FF convert, FF 5 pt

With the big kid and boosters on the outside, it should be easier for the them to buckle themselves.

I hope I am not irritating you, I am only trying to help brainstorm.

... we had to fit 3 across in a Prius and it was quite challenging to configure it just right...

ETA - the cost thing would depend upon how much the vehicle cost, how much it's worth and how much more expensive a bigger van would be. So, I don't actually know if it's cheaper or not. I haven't researched the cost of large vans. I was just speaking from my experience. I am sorry if missed something.

Last edited by Kiliki; 04-10-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote