Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

Selective Mutism?

Anyone's kiddo have selective mutism? I'm starting to think our 3 year old soon-to-be-adopted daughter might. It's hard coming to terms with it, I hate to see her with yet another diagnosis. She has medical issues, speech delays, motor delays, etc. But it's becoming increasingly clear that this is an issue for her. Anytime she is asked a question that puts her "on the spot", she shuts down and absolutely will not speak. This is regardless of who is asking, even DH and I. Strangely, if she is expecting the questions, like during her speech therapy which is very routine for her, she does well. But if she is not expecting a question, she just completely shuts down. And then she stays shut down for hours, sometimes days (we are going on 2 days now with very minimal talking. What started it? We asked her where to put her cup when she's done with it. Which she knows. And we even gave her the word "sink".)

She is also painfully shy with peers. I stay at home, and her social interactions are limited right now (which we're working on). But we had a girl her age and a boy a year younger stay with us for a whole weekend and she never spoke a word to them. She didn't play with them, but sort of played in parallel to them. But if they engaged her or tried to talk to her, she shut down. I'm going to try harder to get her some more social activities, but with all our various appointments and therapies I'm struggling to fit it all in.

Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this, and of their child overcame it. I'm going to talk to her speech therapist tomorrow more about it, and see if she thinks a psych eval is warranted. Poor baby, I just hate that she has so much to deal with

Advertisement

PurpleFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Sounds like it could be. This is primarily a psychological issue, not a speech issue. Good luck!!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Selective Mutism?

We know two little girls with it. 1 is in our Girl Scout troop. She whispers in her mom's ear, and her mom speaks for her at Girl Scouts. She attends a private kindy so she could be in a very small class, which was less overwhelming for her. The other started it when she went to preschool. She is fine at gymnastics and at home...just not at school. They switched schools to see if it was school-specific, but it is not.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Typically kids with SM speak in the home with parents/siblings.

My dd has selective mutism. But she is a chatterbox at home. She will not talk at school (only whispers to her teacher) or in public.

Definitely talk with a psychiatrist or developmental pediatrician. It could just be general anxiety or SM (which is an anxiety based disorder).
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post

My dd has selective mutism. But she is a chatterbox at home. She will not talk at school (only whispers to her teacher) or in public.

Definitely talk with a psychiatrist or developmental pediatrician. It could just be general anxiety or SM (which is an anxiety based disorder).
This is true. But I also worked with a little girl who could go up to a week without speaking at home if something upset her enough.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody

I think DD might not have the typical SM presentation because although we are her parents, she's only known us 6 months! We finalize the adoption next month.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleFluff

I think DD might not have the typical SM presentation because although we are her parents, she's only known us 6 months! We finalize the adoption next month.
Yeah. In your case SM could def. happen in your home since its been only 6 months.

I do know there are other issues kids being brought into a new home might have. (Reactive attachment disorder comes to mind).
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There is a book called Adopting the Hurt Child which was recommended to me. It is sitting on my nightstand right now, waiting...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

She's definitely not RAD She's well attached to both of us, as well as DS. Although she is quite a little Daddy's girl! We had a former foster son who was RAD. It's tough.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

I've known a few kids with selective mutism. It's a type of anxiety disorder that's usually specific to certain environments, like school, but I could see how it might happen at home with an adopted child.