Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-05-2013, 02:07 AM   #11
momneedssupport
Registered Users

My Mood:
I finally got him to nurse a little bit a few a hours ago. Right now heis nursing full throttle no idea what changed except maybe he got hungry. He has already gain past his birth weight and im pretty sure his latch is fine. I'll keep up on his weight luckily my mw lives 1 mile away

Thanks for all the advice. i will keep,doing all the tips and tricks.

Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 03:13 AM   #12
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: 8 days old and too sleepy to nurse.

I had that with last really bad as he was jaundice. If you have a decent supply I would massage breast as he/she eats to help he/she get more at each feeding that helped us get more in and so output did too and all in all helped with growth. Pediatrician was like feed formula and it won't affect supply.... wrong! breastfeeding is supply and demand and my supply was in before I left the hospital and now I really don't need to help except when it is my bigger breast as it is "massive " on the one side and sometimes odd to get milk out of but I did that with my toddler I breastfed too for a long while unless side by side nursing.

Good luck. As the lactation consultant I saw was like if kind of eating then only getting a little but but if you massage more comes when baby sucks milk. you do need to hear a gulping sound and that is what massaging helps with in first few days if sleepy. Plus you do need to wake to feed at this point so change a diaper and feed as much as you can massage in and in a few hours after that again if needed. You don't want to go to the hospital for dehydration of the baby.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #13
momneedssupport
Registered Users

My Mood:
He's nursed about 4x since my last post. Still sleepy but was awake for about 20m this am. Try to keep that up today
Old 04-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
Queen_Celeste
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 8 days old and too sleepy to nurse.

Glad he is nursing! With my second baby we had issues with strong letdown. As soon as I let down he would freak out about the pressure or something at the back of his throat. It helped me to manually express a little to soften up the area where he latched on and to reduce the pressure that would be hitting the back of his mouth. He was over 12lbs by 6 weeks (30% gain in body weight from birth) so I think it worked.
Queen_Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote