Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #21
cuddlebunny_24
Registered Users

I do not use lanolin instead I use coconut oil. The baby loves the taste of it so he opens wider to get more of it. Also it cleared up my scabs in a couple days.

Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #22
Sdayfamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: First Time

I had the same trouble with pain and scabs and this is not normal! I would be screaming in Tears when he nursed! I finally went to a lactation consultant and they were wonderful! Do you have access to one of those? And do you have a pump? I found that it was easier for me to pump while my nipples healed and then keep trying once they healed. A poor latch will continue to hurt however, so that has to be corrected. We also found that a different position worked better on my left side. And also, my DS was three weeks early and tiny. Once he started to get bigger, it seemed like the latch was deeper. Hope this helps!
Sdayfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #23
Kaylacherie88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Yes you've all been very helpful! I unfortunately don't have a pump but I'm thinking about getting one! I think her latch is good... She takes up about an inch- inch and a half.

Is your nipple supposed to have a certain shape when finished?

The lactation consultants I have around here were at the hospital and didn't seem to help me much. They didn't tell me that before pulling her off you have to break the suction. My mother told me yesterday. I'm sure this didn't help my nipples.
Kaylacherie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #24
Sdayfamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: First Time

They should NOT be flat as a pancake lol. And I never have to break the suction, they should release when they are done. Granted, it may be 20 minutes later and it may look like they are napping... lol. Letting them finish lets them get the hindmilk which is richer than the foremilk. And I did have to contact a few different places before I found someone who seemed like they really wanted to help but it was totally worth it! I called three different hospitals in the area and saw two different people before I felt satisfied.
Sdayfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #25
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Another mama on here suggested googling Dr. Jack Newman I think. Tons of diagrams and videos. Very helpful
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote