Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #21
EnlistedinHisArmy
Registered Users

Re: Budgeting for the first baby

For those of you who use cloth wipes: Don't you have to change the baby in the bathroom? I cant picture it elsewhere since you have to rise out the rag especially for poopy diapers.

Advertisement

EnlistedinHisArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #22
EnlistedinHisArmy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraElise View Post
I don't work, but couldn't live without my pump. I have a HUGE over supply that often leads to mastitis. If you are confident in your ability to hand express, then skip the pump, otherwise it's nice to have for times you literally need to take off a bit of the pressure.

A single electric or a hand pump would work fine for minimal pumping, I wouldn't bother with a double if you are not working.
I wont be working. If i run into a problem with oversupply, i can then go out and buy a pump. Its not really an emergency situation is it?
EnlistedinHisArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #23
77Lipen
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlistedinHisArmy
For those of you who use cloth wipes: Don't you have to change the baby in the bathroom? I cant picture it elsewhere since you have to rise out the rag especially for poopy diapers.
No, change anywhere, then when you have a moment wash it out in the washroom.

If you ebf in the beginning you really don't have to worry about rinsing anything until foods start.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #24
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlistedinHisArmy View Post
Nope! Only when the baby starts solids. Breast milk fed poo isn't that bad actually. I just threw everything in the pail together.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #25
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
We change diapers on our changing table which is in the living room. I have a spray bottle that has the wipes solution(usually just water) in it and I spray it then take the wipe with the diaper to our pail. For the first several months, until you start solids, you don't have to rinse breastmilk poop, it rinses right out.

Quote:
I wont be working. If i run into a problem with oversupply, i can then go out and buy a pump. Its not really an emergency situation is it?
You can just learn to hand express the milk if you need to because you have oversupply, or you can get an inexpensive manual pump. I started with oversupply, and the thing with that is the more you pump to relieve the excess, the more you produce, so you walk a fine line anyways with it until your body regulates your supply. You don't need a pump.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #26
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
It depends so much on the person, there isn't really a way to answer that. For *me* it was sort of an emergency situation, I had mastitis at 5 days pp, and couldn't have run out to the store to grab a pump, but I think in *most* cases you could probably send someone out to get something for you (you won't want to be going anywhere if you end up with mastitis!)

I'm just glad I had it, and there are cheap pumping options for $30 or less.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #27
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

And you can definitely hand express too, I've done that when my pump suddenly died, or I didn't have access to a an outlet or new batteries, it depends on your comfort level.

This is just my personal experience though, I am sure for my 1 "you need a pump" you will hear 10 people say they never used theirs.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #28
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

I just wet the wash cloth before heading to change the baby. Never rinsed them out or the diapers for breastfed poop. I don't even really rinse them out for solid poop though my daughter usually poops on the toilet (if you are able to try elimination communication for just poop I recommend it highly, we started at 6 months and it was totally the best thing ever. It's part of the morning routine, get up, sit on toilet, poop, get dressed.) Nowadays if she has a poopy diaper I change her on the bathroom floor since I practically need 10 arms to hold her still and might do a wipe with toilet paper first. I have family cloth in the bathroom and a peribottle on the toilet and will wet the cloth and wipe and throw it in a dry bucket to be washed with the diapers.
Things I loved with my baby:
-Change table with high sides so when they start rolling they are a little more secure (though now they give her great leverage to flip herself over and stand up.
-Grobag: I'm in Canada and this was the best thing ever, well worth the price. I only had one but that was enough. It was secure so it wouldn't go up over her head and fit from 1-6 months. I got the next size up after which fits from 6-18 months which really gives you good usage for the price. It's great to keep her warm as she rolls all over the bed and never keeps covers on.
-Swing: She loved the swing.
-Bouncy chair: Great for letting me take a shower. I'd put her in it on the bathroom floor while I showered.
-Carrier: Let me wear her when cleaning and great if you like to walk out on trails or places where taking a stroller is hard.
-Carseat that clicks in a base: So much easier to put the baby in the seat in the house and then just click them into the base and then bring them in the house and leave them in the carseat if they're sleeping. Also loved it with the stroller combo.
Playpen: Great to put a mobile kid down and know they're safe while you get work done or run to the bathroom. I also recommend it over a bassinet. They outgrow a bassinet pretty fast so if you want to keep them in your room longer and you don't plan on co-sleeping then get a good playpen. I really like the Graco ones. We used the Graco Travel lite crib for the first 6 months as our room is pretty small.
White noise machine: It really helped condition my daughter to sleep to the sound and now if we are away from home I bring it and she goes down great. We're going to get another one for this baby so my daughter can keep using hers.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #29
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Nose Frieda is awesome. Worth every penny.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #30
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Most of the money I spent was towards cloth diapers. I bought way too much for my first baby (swing, bouncer, etc) and I didn't need those things. I also bed share so I didn't need a crib, I also bought a stroller I never used (babywear instead).

Things I consider I need for a baby -

Atleast 24 CDs
carseat
Atleast 1 good baby carrier (woven wrap I prefer)
Clothes (a few pjs, onsies, pants, shirts, socks, hats)
A few blankets
Burp rags or recieving blankets (I actually use mine when nursing to catch the leaks)
Wipes
A good nipple cream if you nurse

That's really all I use
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote