Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
andrea909
Registered Users
seller

belly button suddenly turned from innie to outie?

Anyone have any experience with this? DS is 15 months and I noticed while giving him a bath his belly button is an out now. I'm thinking this had to have happened fairly recently. He also has had diarrhea for a few days, but he is breaking some molars in so I attributed the diarrhea to that. He hasn't had any other symptoms except being kind of cranky and not sleeping well all of which he does during teething. I'm wondering if his belly button change is something normal or something I should be worried about????

Advertisement

andrea909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: belly button suddenly turned from innie to outie?

Could be an umbilical hernia? I know someone who's son had that and his navel bulged out like an outie...he was only 3 mos. Might be worth checking out, though.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
LillyIvy
Registered Users
seller

I was thinking an umbilical hernia too, although DD's popped out at maybe a month. Has he been coughing or straining a lot? And does the outie part come past the innie part? If that makes sense... Being extremely careful (do it when he's asleep), use your pinkie and try to push it in and see if you can feel an internal hole, that would be an umbilical hernia. As long as it doesn't change color or he's not in pain from it, don't worry. But certainly bring it up to your doctor.

FTR, DD is 2yo and her's protrudes out quite a bit, like a REALLY big grape hanging off her belly. I always forget until I see another baby/toddler belly
Old 06-24-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
andrea909
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies. It doesn't seem to bother him and it's not huge or discolored like some I saw when I googled herniated belly button. He did do more crying than usual as I've been trying to get him to take naps in his crib in preparation for our new baby. I guess I'll give the doc a call in the morning and see if I should go in.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
FallBabies
Registered Users

Outie belly buttons are from small hernias that come from not quite closed stomach muscles (or something like that.) Unless it becomes painful or huge, it is not an issue. DS developed one when he was a few weeks old; his belly button literally popped out (looked like a weenie coming out of his stomach, I'm not kidding, it was so huge and bizarre. The surgeon said he has only ever seen two that needed to be operated on due to size, and he expected my son to be the third. When DS hit around 7 months or so, it suddenly went back down to nothing. Now he has a slight outie. The surgeon said that is what determines "innies" from "outies"... babies with hernias get outies, babies without hernias grow to have innies. Most hernias are so small that parents never even know baby had it... just that suddenly baby has an outie!
Old 06-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Outie belly buttons are from small hernias that come from not quite closed stomach muscles (or something like that.) Unless it becomes painful or huge, it is not an issue.
yup. My dr said all outies are small hernias.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
andrea909
Registered Users
seller

Well I took him him in and it was a stomach bug causing the diarrhea and giving him gas so his stomach was big thus making the belly button more outie. She also said there was possibly a very small hernia which is nothing to be worried about.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
fhaido
Registered Users

HI, I know this happened almost three years ago. But I am going through the same exact experience with my 16-month old daughter. Did your son's bellybutton go back to being an innie??? Thank you!!!!!
fhaido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Both my girls belly buttons would pop out at that age after a nice big meal.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
fhaido
Registered Users

Would they go back to being innies afterwards? I never saw this happen to my daughter before. She had a really bad stomach virus and a lot of crying this week. I am afraid she developed a small hernia...
fhaido is offline   Reply With Quote