Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
loveskitten
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What do I do now? PCOS and need advice!

I have PCOS my first daughter, age 4, we got through one cycle of Clomid because I was not ovulating. My second daughter, age 2 was one forgotten condom (sorry if TMI) and my third pregnancy, 16 months later, was conceived after me being religiously consistent with my birth control pill. I got off immediately, but we lost the baby at 5-7 weeks. I did not go back on the pill. It has been 16 months of TTC with no luck. I changed doctors and I have had plenty of tests run. Tubes checked, ovulation checked, hormone levels checked, my husband has been tested. They cannot find one single thing wrong. I think Clomid is going to be the next thing they suggest but according to the doctor I AM ovulating, so though it worked for me before it also fixed a problem. At this stage they cannot find a problem. I guess I am looking for advice. I am not sure what to do. I do have PCOS and a friend mentioned I may not be releasing the egg or that even if I am it might be a bad one. She says there is no way to test for this? Anyone have any experience in this area?

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Chart your cycles (taking temp each morning), and learn about cervical fluid.

You may be ovulating, but you may be ovulating later than what you think, and you may have a short luteal phase, which is common with PCOS and leads to early loss. Charting can identify both issues.

Read "Taking Charge of your Fertility" by Toni Weschler
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: What do I do now? PCOS and need advice!

The hormone issues that occur with PCOS are what the problem is. You may not be releasing an egg at all or your insulin could be off. Metformin is the standard treatment for PCOS and has a side effect of enhanced fertility. I got DS1 on the pill, DS2 on metformin and clomid, and DS3 and 4 on metformin. I have PCOS too. Metformin also prevents PCOS related pregnancy loss. Your miscarriage is a common issue for PCOS women. I had 5 losses before Metformin was given to me. I would get on it ASAP.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

The hormone issues that occur with PCOS are what the problem is. You may not be releasing an egg at all or your insulin could be off. Metformin is the standard treatment for PCOS and has a side effect of enhanced fertility. I got DS1 on the pill, DS2 on metformin and clomid, and DS3 and 4 on metformin. I have PCOS too. Metformin also prevents PCOS related pregnancy loss. Your miscarriage is a common issue for PCOS women. I had 5 losses before Metformin was given to me. I would get on it ASAP.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Her bloodwork shows ovulation. She's gotta' figure out when she's actually ovulating, though.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Metformin also worked for me to induce ovulation. The insulin-resistance diet works as well for me as metformin. That's how dd1 got here. Lol
Old 04-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
slyeates
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Metformin worked me me too. We tried for 3 years and then got pregnant cycle 2 of metformin. No advice on the ovulation, since I do not ovulate off of medication.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
loveskitten
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone! The research I have done on Metformin shows it might be a match, but I really just need to get back in there with my doctor and see what he thinks! Thanks for helping me out!