Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #31
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Can I so what assessments you used on him?

Advertisement

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #32
rottenapple
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Where do I put my child for school?

Having to interact with people you can't stand is something that everybody needs to learn how to do. I don't think that you will do your DS a favor by allowing him to avoid kids his own age because he doesn't like them. It may actually be a bigger harm to him by not having him learn how to deal with being around people he may not want to be around. I would love it if the only people I interact with all day are full of sunshine and rainbows, but that's just not the way life is! JMO, good luck with your decision!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #33
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're in the same situation, with our 5 year old who just started K in January (we're in Australia so our school year runs with the calendar year.) Anyhow, we are so so fortunate that we got the right teacher, who is very willing to differentiate and try to meet her needs. Already though she said she feels bad that my daughter isn't learning anything 'new' and next term she is going to be joining the Gr 1 class for 1.5 hours a day. The teacher said she will be ahead of them anyway, but still there are other things to consider like the fact that physically she is small for her age as well. The teacher also said there is a possibility of acceleration and she suggests getting IQ tests done towards the end of the year, as she may need to skip a grade. I have been so worried about her starting school, but the teacher has been so good, I have been amazed. I haven't had to push for anything or even say anything, the teacher has suggested it all and is trying to come up with plans to accommodate her. We haven't started maths yet so I really have no idea where she stands in that regard, she does understand some pretty complex concepts and can do multiplication, addition, subtraction etc. Mind you, we have never done any kinds of workbooks or any program or anything. So I am actually amazed that she understands any of it!

I guess my feeling is that regardless of the school, you really need ot make sure the teacher is switched on to giftedness in the child, and if they are not, you need to change schools or teachers. I also do not have time to homeschool and really i think i would do a pretty bad job. Otherwise I love the idea, but I also know how much my daughter really loves seeing her friends at school, and that play time is so important as well.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #34
IsaacsMom2009
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
Can I so what assessments you used on him?
Let me look in my browser history and see if I can find them. We took several of them, and some of them only in pieces because they were too easy for DS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenapple View Post
Having to interact with people you can't stand is something that everybody needs to learn how to do. I don't think that you will do your DS a favor by allowing him to avoid kids his own age because he doesn't like them. It may actually be a bigger harm to him by not having him learn how to deal with being around people he may not want to be around. I would love it if the only people I interact with all day are full of sunshine and rainbows, but that's just not the way life is! JMO, good luck with your decision!
I understand this point of view, I really do. I do explain to DS that the world is full of people, and you aren't always going to like them all, and sometimes you just have to deal with it and move through your day.

It's not that he doesn't get along with the other children. He does. His teachers say he gets along with others and makes an effort to keep them on task.

But honestly, how fair is it to expect a 4 year old to help wrangle his classmates so that he's able to learn? I know that kids will be kids, and that's fine. I know teachers will only do so much to keep things civil in a classroom because, age appropriately, kids do get off task and play and it's just part of who they are. My son makes an effort to go along with this, but he really doesn't like it. He finds it distracting.

I'm not wanting to shield my child from every discomfort in the universe. Seriously. But I don't want him having to spend 6 hours a day in an environment where he's babysitting other kids and bored.

You wouldn't know it from our current life situations and poor decision making skills in the past, but DS's father and I were both extremely bright students. I had a photographic memory and rarely struggled with anything. I spent most of my education being bored. By the time it was time to go to college, I was just over it and moved on to make horrible decisions rather than go to school. I'm working on my third associates degree now, but it's been a long time coming to get these things done.

DS's father had a similar experience except in order to get more stimulation, he overloaded himself with extra-curriculars and burned himself out physically. He went on to college, but didn't take it seriously because he had never had to work that hard for school ever, so he wasn't used to it and just gave up.

Neither of us was really challenged early on. Everything was so easy, and after years of complacency, the idea of going on to MORE school for me was unbearable and for DS's father, he just wasn't prepared for the discipline needed for college work.

I want my son to be appropriately challenged: not too much that it 'breaks' him and not so little that he becomes bored or complacent. I just want him to be challenged and learn how to adapt to those challenges so that he is able to make better decisions than his father and I made when it comes time to leave high school.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #35
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacsMom2009 View Post
It's not that he doesn't get along with the other children. He does. His teachers say he gets along with others and makes an effort to keep them on task.

But honestly, how fair is it to expect a 4 year old to help wrangle his classmates so that he's able to learn? I know that kids will be kids, and that's fine. I know teachers will only do so much to keep things civil in a classroom because, age appropriately, kids do get off task and play and it's just part of who they are. My son makes an effort to go along with this, but he really doesn't like it. He finds it distracting.

I'm not wanting to shield my child from every discomfort in the universe. Seriously. But I don't want him having to spend 6 hours a day in an environment where he's babysitting other kids and bored.
Ummm...your kid should not be responsible for babysitting other kids. Not his job. That seems like a problem with your current schooling situation, not school in general. That's not normal.

On a different note, I'm always wary of private schools. The reason being, is that they don't all necessarily require nearly as much training as public schools do. I'm a college prof and one of our majors just got a job teaching at the private high school that he went too. He has taken exactly ZERO education courses. Honestly, with his personality he will be a great teacher, however the lack of required training does disturb me. Before you send your kid to a private school, check out the training level of his teacher.
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #36
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think he should be expected to wrangle other children and most likely he's not. If he is doing it on his own, then he needs to be taught how to ignore their off task behaviors and focus on doing what he is supposed to be doing. It is actually not uncommon at all for young children to go through a busybody/bossy stage. I can't remember if it was 3K or 4K that my daughter learned the mantra "Worry about yourself."

Now there is this idea out there that the more advanced kids can/should help out the less advanced ones and be little leaders/teachers. I'm good with this idea as long as it coincides with a good healthy age gap.