Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #71
babyrosie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chat Thread ~ Apr 7th - 13th

What about a foley bulb to induce if you are only a cm or 2 dilated? Could get things going and I can't see how it would be increased risk for a previous c section mom. I was induced with a foley with dd and it got things movin real quick. No pit needed.

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #72
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
No clue about vbac but with DS I wasn't dilated so given cervadil twice, dilated me enough to break my water, then started pitocin. I had a natural labor , no pain meds and 6 hours from water breaking to delivering him with like 1 push.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #73
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So really bad pain in my inner thighs. Like crazy hurts to walk. Think that means baby's dropped?
Old 04-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #74
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayBunny View Post

As far as breast pads, what are they actually used for? Leaking? I am not a leaker past the first couple days of milk. Even with my oversupply. Do some women leak a lot? I do dry off after every feeding to avoid yeast, though. I only used them with Joey when I had yeast and need ointment. I changed them every feeding, though, and almost threw out my bras because I kept reinfecting myself. Definitely would have tossed cloth pads.
Wow! I thought everyone needed breast pads for leaking. I need to use them for at least 8 months, more like the first 12 months. I'd go broke if I had to use disposables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post

Yeah, you can bleach stuff, and you can use GSE for thrush/yeast too. I tend to be very sensitive to it, when I'd had it, so I wouldn't want to risk reinfection - if I was using all cloth I'd try to treat them, but would use disposable while treating myself, kwim?
Especially since I would go for the same treatment protocol I've had success with with the other babies - APNO + GV... and GV on cloth nursing pads would just ruin them!

Sorry, I didn't mean there wasn't any way. Just that I wouldn't want to have the worry of reinfecting myself, kwim?
I totally get what you mean. We really, really try not to buy disposable anything (both DDs have been in disposable diapers twice), so I try to use our reusable stuff. When I had thrush, I had enough reusables on hand to change very often and wash often too. It would definitely be easier to just use disposables so you wouldn't have to be as diligent about washing.

We used APNO and GV as well, and oh man is GV messy. Funny story: We put GV on DD1 at 4am one time, and I forgot to put on the lid. Well, one of our cats got on the bathroom counter and knocked the bottler over, and walked in it. Then he walked down the hallway (on the light carpet), down the stairs (still carpeted), and then across the hardwood floor that we had installed a month before DD1 was born. Purple paw prints everywhere! That was not fun to clean up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm81888 View Post
So glad to hear of all the new babies!

AFM: 40 weeks today!! Went to my appt and my obgyn swept my membranes but said the baby's heartbeat sounded low, so we had a biophysical profile done baby was sleepy and didn't pass, but they refrained from inducing due to the fact that he was moving just fine in the waiting room. I have to go back Wed for a NST. Hopefully the membrane sweep will get things moving along...
Crossing fingers that the membrane sweep works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2wyatt View Post
So really bad pain in my inner thighs. Like crazy hurts to walk. Think that means baby's dropped?
Could be!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #75
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatefade View Post

I've never experienced it, so I'm not totally sure of all things considered safe induction. I would imagine cervidel could be used as well as breaking the water.
I thought it was other way around: small amounts of pitocin are OK for VBAC, Cervidel increases chance of rupture??
mibarra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #76
KendallMarie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momneedssupport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post

Well now I can't talk to you. That's great! I'd love to get back in pre preggo jeans, and that's still 20 lbs up from pre baby jeans :/

Me either......not my friend anymore
21lb to go! But i havent even tried......yoga and mat pants for me

I still have about 20lbs to go actually... I was actually shocked when I actually was able to do my jeans up without an issue. I really just tried them on for fun. The last month of pregnancy I had noticed my love handles shrinking so the weight is hiding out other places... like my boobs. I've also been using the Shrikx belt... some what regularly since I got home so I guess it's working.

ISO: Fuzzibunz Elite OS, Lg Boy-ish G-diapers, MEAF M, ML, L
IHA: Sm G-diapers, pouches, g-cloth, NB Alvas, NB Sandies, NB Prefolds, NB Bummis covers
KendallMarie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #77
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I forgot to tell you ladies, I won a Planetwise wet/dry bag from Nicki's Diapers FB page! I get an email today that they shipped it today! I actually hadn't bought one yet, I always just used plastic bags when I CDed DS
Old 04-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #78
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallMarie View Post

I still have about 20lbs to go actually... I was actually shocked when I actually was able to do my jeans up without an issue. I really just tried them on for fun. The last month of pregnancy I had noticed my love handles shrinking so the weight is hiding out other places... like my boobs. I've also been using the Shrikx belt... some what regularly since I got home so I guess it's working.
That's great that they fit! I never lose fat during pregnancy, and it's not my hips that are the issue :/
mibarra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #79
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
So what counts as induction for vbac success (or rather, lack of)? Stripping membranes - good, bad? Is there anything that would help if I'm not in labor in a couple wks?

Breaking water?

I know pitocin is obviously a full blown induction but what about other means?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
Well, my dr says that the success rate of vbac goes way down if you have to induce vs mom going into labor on her own. She said some pitocin if needed after labor has started isn't a terrible thing.

. I am wondering what actually qualifies as "induction." stripping membranes? Breaking water? Is there anything that can be done to assist that doesn't cause the chances of successful vbac to go down?
Inducing means doing something to bring on labor when mom isn't in labor all ready - so any of those things would be considered inducing. Sweeping membranes is a more natural, gentle one, but still a way of inducing, if it worked.
AROM, pitocin, etc - all induction methods.

She is saying that if you are all ready contracting but not progressing (though I would then also question her reason for saying you're not progressing - not dilating 1cm per hour is NOT failing to progress), and they gave you pitocin it would be more likely to succeed - because anything done after mom is in labor and contracting is not induction, but augmentation.

VBACs are most likely to be successful:
-if labor begins naturally before 40 weeks
-if baby weighs less than 9lbs
-if mom has had a previous vaginal birth

BUT. That's not at all to say that they can't be successful if those criteria are not met.

Quote:
Pit inductions are highly discouraged for vbac because it increases risk of rupture significantly.
Quote:
I've never experienced it, so I'm not totally sure of all things considered safe induction. I would imagine cervidel could be used as well as breaking the water.
Sorry to be harsh, but no. This is very wrong information.

Cervidil and cytotec both are contra-indicated for VBAC induction - both of them have shown significantly increased risks of uterine rupture.

Pitocin has not shown a significant increase in uterine rupture. It does show a slight increase, but it's nothing compared to the others.

The recommended induction for VBACs, if necessary, is AROM followed by pitocin if contractions don't come on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm81888 View Post
Went to my appt and my obgyn swept my membranes but said the baby's heartbeat sounded low, so we had a biophysical profile done baby was sleepy and didn't pass, but they refrained from inducing due to the fact that he was moving just fine in the waiting room.
that baby is fine and the membrane sweep is all your body needs to kick into gear.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #80
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyrosie View Post
What about a foley bulb to induce if you are only a cm or 2 dilated? Could get things going and I can't see how it would be increased risk for a previous c section mom. I was induced with a foley with dd and it got things movin real quick. No pit needed.
Man, I always forget about the foley for induction! That would definitely be an option with VBAC - without any increased risk at all!

Quote:
No clue about vbac but with DS I wasn't dilated so given cervadil twice, dilated me enough to break my water, then started pitocin. I had a natural labor , no pain meds and 6 hours from water breaking to delivering him with like 1 push.
Cervidil is fine for use in non-VBAC inductions - well, technically it still increases the risk of uterine rupture even then, but it's not a significant thing like with VBACs.
Cytotec really shouldn't be used at all, whether VBAC induction or not, but Dr's seem to love it all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rverrone11 View Post
Funny story: We put GV on DD1 at 4am one time, and I forgot to put on the lid. Well, one of our cats got on the bathroom counter and knocked the bottler over, and walked in it. Then he walked down the hallway (on the light carpet), down the stairs (still carpeted), and then across the hardwood floor that we had installed a month before DD1 was born. Purple paw prints everywhere! That was not fun to clean up.
That's hilarious!!!! I mean, woulda sucked to have to deal with, but even while dealing with it I think I'd be giggling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
I thought it was other way around: small amounts of pitocin are OK for VBAC, Cervidel increases chance of rupture??
Yes. Though it's not just small doses of pitocin that are safe. They just need to be monitoring mom closely (which most places want CFM with VBACs anyways) to make sure that everything is going okay - mom's body and baby are reacting well/handling the pitocin. I've never seen any data that shows that a certain amount of pit is okay, but no more than that, kwim?

Quote:
I forgot to tell you ladies, I won a Planetwise wet/dry bag from Nicki's Diapers FB page! I get an email today that they shipped it today! I actually hadn't bought one yet, I always just used plastic bags when I CDed DS
Score! I really do like wet bags - they're cute, and they're so nice for out-and-about changes - honest to goodness, no smells at all from them!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote