Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #31
mommybonner
Registered Users

I will let my boys ride on my fathers motorcycle Around the neighborhood around 6, but not on any major roads. My 8 year old and 3.5 year old both have their own atvs. The 8 year old can ride the roads in the neighborhood alone but the 3.5 year old has to have one of us drive him to behind the neighborhood where it's an empty field then he drives alone. The roads are just too dangerous for my liking for my kids to be on a motorcycle. I do see dirt bikes in their future tho.

Advertisement

mommybonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #32
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

Never.

My brother was very recently hit while riding his bike on a country road. He was thrown into a field and had to crawl through the field and a watery ditch at night with broken pelvic bones, knee, wrist, and a bone in his ankle broke through the skin and was left in the grass. He suffered aortic damage and by the time he was found because it was a hit and run he was nearly dead.

So never, as long as I have a say. Because even though the driver may have control there is no control over others on the road.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #33
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Kids and motorcycles

Add me to the 'over my dead body' group. I know lots of people who ride, my dad has several bikes. Until my kids are 18, the most they'll do is sit on my dad's parked bike with a person holding them. It's not worth the risk.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #34
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleFluff View Post
I would not allow it, no way no how. Ive seen the aftermath of a motorcycle vs car accident, and the guy was wearing a helmet. Still landed in the ICU on several drips clinging to life. Its just not worth the risk, IMO. My ER buddies call anyone on a motorcycle without a helmet "organ donors". Morbid ER humor.
We consider the ones WITH the helmet organ donors. The ones without are DRT or dead right there. Most all we have seen on our floor have had a helmet on they just didn't have leather or skid plates in their pants.

We will probably let them ride at 12 with family only and only in certain areas of town. We have 2 of the most dangerous intersections in the US here.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #35
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I can't really answer this because it would be different for each of my children. I think it massively depends on the maturity of the child.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #36
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

Most states have a rule that a child must be able to reach the foot pegs on their own and have "proper" eye & foot protection--which as far as some states go is as simple as a pair of closed toe shoes and sunglasses.

I grew up on a motorcycle...seriously, my dad was taking me on 25+ mile trips from the time I was about 3.5 or 4. I remember sitting in front of him until I was maybe 5-ish, then sitting behind him. We had a big grassy field behind our house and he taught us how to kick off & jump from the bike if it was tipping, how to push away if it slid out, how to lean into curves, etc. He still has bikes, but has never even mentioned taking my kids (7, almost 5, and 18 months) or my niece on any of them...in fact, he seemed quite concerned and a little terrified when we bought our oldest son a little 50cc dirtbike for his 4th bday. My FIL wants to take the kids out on his bike all the time, and beyond a barely putting along loop around the yard where he was going so slow he had to drag his feet (with the older two, not the littlest obviously), where the kids were wearing a helmet, he has never taken them and likely never will because he is not a very careful driver. He's never wrecked, but he has come close multiple times, and all of those times were because he was not paying attention, not because another driver didn't see him, etc.

It almost seems like a weird double standard to outsiders that we won't let FIL take the kids because he has *almost* wrecked multiple times, but that we would be more than comfortable with my dad taking them even though he has wrecked every bike he owns...BUT every accident was caused by somebody else, and in areas where he would not be riding with our kids. Plus we know that my dad would teach them how to jump and would grab them & use himself to cushion them (he actually did that with me in an accident when I was a kid when a truck pulled out in front of us and he had to lay the bike down). FIL wrecked with MIL once long long ago (before DH was born) and actually checked on his bike before her...so...yeah.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #37
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

It would depend on the situation for me. My dad used to have a bike and if he ever gets one in the future, I may let them ride with him in the neighborhood behind them VERY slowly. Like the speed of a bicycle slowly. There is hardly any traffic there and the people drive super slow because they are used to kids on bicycles. I don't know how old they would have to be to ride one on a busy street at normal speed. Probably never. Lol.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote