Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #11
bama's Avatar
bama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,148
Re: Why cant birth control have useful side effects?

My boobs grew when I first started birth control.. 2 full cups. I haven't been back on it in 5 years though,so I dunno what would happen now!

Advertisement

bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
ajoymess's Avatar
ajoymess
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 129
Re: Why cant birth control have useful side effects?

Like any birth control, "user" failure is included in those numbers. So, if you think there is any chance you (or your DH) won't be able to either abstain or use a barrier method when your fertile, then it is not the way to go if you absolutely don't want to get pregnant. We used FAM (TCOYF) with condoms during fertile time (using 5 day rule only before ovulation-makes sense once you read the book) and did not get pregnant for 3 years prior to deciding to conceive. And we got pregnant that first month BUT, my husband is the strong willed one and if it was up to me, we would probably "forget" at some point. Prior to using FAM, we only used condoms and also never got pregnant 5 yrs or so? Again, DH was a perfect user. Although I have used it perfectly in the past, I am BF right now (and night nursing...) so I can't reliably chart So, back to condoms full time, which sucks. I kinda feel in the same boat, wanting a birth control with no side effects. We were planning vasectomy when were done having kids, but the more I read about it, the less I think he should get it done, gah
ajoymess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
theonenonlymrssmith's Avatar
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoymess
Like any birth control, "user" failure is included in those numbers. So, if you think there is any chance you (or your DH) won't be able to either abstain or use a barrier method when your fertile, then it is not the way to go if you absolutely don't want to get pregnant. We used FAM (TCOYF) with condoms during fertile time (using 5 day rule only before ovulation-makes sense once you read the book) and did not get pregnant for 3 years prior to deciding to conceive. And we got pregnant that first month BUT, my husband is the strong willed one and if it was up to me, we would probably "forget" at some point. Prior to using FAM, we only used condoms and also never got pregnant 5 yrs or so? Again, DH was a perfect user. Although I have used it perfectly in the past, I am BF right now (and night nursing...) so I can't reliably chart So, back to condoms full time, which sucks. I kinda feel in the same boat, wanting a birth control with no side effects. We were planning vasectomy when were done having kids, but the more I read about it, the less I think he should get it done, gah
I can't use it when Breastfeeding?? I haven't read that before! I am still nursing my 17 month old, and he still nurses at night too...

please forgive all typos due to auto correct's lack of mind reading abilities. :-)
theonenonlymrssmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #14
ajoymess's Avatar
ajoymess
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 129
Re: Why cant birth control have useful side effects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith View Post
I can't use it when Breastfeeding?? I haven't read that before! I am still nursing my 17 month old, and he still nurses at night too...

please forgive all typos due to auto correct's lack of mind reading abilities. :-)
Its not that you "can't," its just much harder to read your fertile symptoms while BF. Are your cycles regulated now? I just had my first PPAF last month, so I couldn't even start charting yet IYKWIM. Also, for sympto-thermal method you need to check your temp in the morning when you first wake up, at the same time every day, preferably after being asleep for 5 hrs strait. My DD nurses the most in the early morning hours, so I assume that would throw it off.

Like PP, I can't emphasize stronger to either take a class with a good instructor or read TCOYF and use the most strict rules. Check out TCOYF.com too, they have a forums for TTA that were helpful for feedback, and maybe some that used it reliably while still nursing at night.
ajoymess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #15
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,508
My Mood:
PP needs to be cautious as some people think NFP is just looking at a calendar, or JUST temps. When done diligently, it's highly effective. Many people aren't diligent. When you are tta its best to err on the side of caution. Especially on a website
I've known people who "don't know how " they got pregnant because they were "pretty good" at taking the pill. If they forgot a day or two or 4 they would catch up. Or they were on the anti biotic. Or they went off for a month then went back on. Are those behaviors affect effectiveness.
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #16
theonenonlymrssmith's Avatar
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,246
I do have TCOYF on the way to me! So I'll definitely be getting good information before I start. Do cervical and cervical mucous checks work while your nursing?? I wouldn't have bothered getting the book right now had I known I wasn't a good candidate for this method at the moment.
theonenonlymrssmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #17
ajoymess's Avatar
ajoymess
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 129
Re: Why cant birth control have useful side effects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith View Post
I do have TCOYF on the way to me! So I'll definitely be getting good information before I start. Do cervical and cervical mucous checks work while your nursing?? I wouldn't have bothered getting the book right now had I known I wasn't a good candidate for this method at the moment.
Honestly, I do think it will be hard to learn FAM properly if you don't have a regular cycle yet. If you had been using FAM before pregnancy and knew your body really well it would be different. It certainly wouldn't hurt to read up on it though.

ETA- TCOYF is sympto-thermal. I believe the billings method deals with *just* cervical mucus and may be better while BF since that isn't affected while night nursing. I don't know much about that method though. I know for myself, I have had quite a bit of cervical mucus since giving birth, so I would have mostly had to abstain or use condoms anyway...

Last edited by ajoymess; 04-09-2013 at 06:01 PM.
ajoymess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #18
hannahransom
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: san diego, ca
Posts: 14
Re: Why cant birth control have useful side effects?

Yes, of course I was going to say the sympto-thermal method has positive side effects!
..And I am going to PM you back when I get up to a 6 post count
hannahransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.