Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Registered Users
How to get toddler to sleep in her own bed

I need help. We bedshare, which I like with a young baby, but its difficult sharing with my 2 year old DD. I have tried to transition her to her own mattress on the floor next to us, but she climbs in be during the night. I want her to be able to sleep in her own bed though out the night, since we are expecting a baby in October. My husband wants a king size bed, instead of having her sleep in her own bed. How do I get her to sleep in her own bed??

Sara wifey to Chad and momma to Lily (4/11)

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
My Mood:
Re: How to get toddler to sleep in her own bed

I wish I had a magic answer. My oldest boy slept in my bed till he was 6. He would start the night in his bed in his own room then wake and come in my bed in the middle of the night. Over time it got later and later that he came in. Eventually it was just in the morning he would come in.

My now 4 1/2 yr old just never got out of his bed in his room when I put him in there at 18 mos old. Same with my now 3 1/2 yr old. My 12 month old still sleeps with us and I do not see this changing soon.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
My Mood:
Honestly, the answer is to be patient but persistent, kind but firm. Maybe give her goals. But since I've been through it before and I'm going through it again, I guarantee it can happen very successfully if you adjust your expectations a bit and cut everyone some slack.
Danielle, Nick, Gigi ('08) and William ('11)
Happy Family
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Registered Users
Try moving the mattress to a different room? I know with my almost 2yo DD, there's no way she would settle for a mattress on the ground if she knows a better option exists. We got DD special sheets with a dog print that she loves and took turns laying down with her on her mattress in her room before she started sleeping there on her own. We also used that setup for napping first, then tackled nighttime later.

I would vote for a king size bed too. Even if you move your kiddo out of the bed, it's inevitable you'll have 4 bodies in there at some point!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
ChocoChoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

We always moved them into their own room, if they could see us, they wanted us.

With my daughter we skipped the crib (other 2 moved to cribs) and then I would lay with her in her room until she fell asleep. Then after a while I would just lay for a few minutes then leave and close the door, now I just tuck her in and leave. At first sometimes she would cry for about 30 seconds, and then stop. If she ever got worked up or was crying longer than a couple of minutes I would have gone in and comforted her again.
Hi I'm Sara mommy to 4 little Mischief Makers
SaraElise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

My method was to use the bed rail in towards our side of the bed. I bought a toddler bed from IKEA, it matched up a little higher to our old bed, but DS would roll onto our bed at night. So I used the bed rail that keeps them from rolling out of bed, on our side of the bed and had the other side by the wall. I would cuddle him with a pillow on the rail as he fell asleep then he could grab my hand under or over the rail if he wanted but it helped a lot with him staying in his bed. You could do the same with a pillow as well.

DS still wants to be next to our bed, but he doesn't get in our bed any more, which is nice as our old bed was just too small to have him in it too.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote