Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by myclanof6
Yikes! I would just keep washing them by themselves until nothing else bleeds. Sorry that happened to you mama.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum most likely while nursing
Yep.

How awful...

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #12
MamaDawn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Second hand diapers/second hand smoke

wash and sun... and baking soda if they still smell... you can put some in a ziplock back and put the diaper in there with it seal it for a day or so

Hand Painted yarn by Fairy Tale Knits

Direct link to my current colorways
MamaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
77Lipen
Registered Users

Well I've washed them a billion times, not sure if they'll still bleed or not. But they have this smell, its not cigarettes, maybe it's the dye. Gonna stick them outside for the rest of the day.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #14
77Lipen
Registered Users

I would send them back but shipping from us to Canada is cheaper than Canada US, so it'll just cost me way more in the long run.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
DiaperDiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxgirl View Post
Just to offer another possibility, I've seen mail carriers and truck drivers smoking, and have heard of instances where shipped items smelled like smoke as a result of the mail carrier or truck driver smoking in the truck.
+1 Ditto the mail truck carrier thing.

My husband just quit smoking last week. Bad habit, started when he was a teen, struggled to quit, but THANK GOODNESS he finally quit. It took years for him to get to the point he even WANTED to quit though. I am not a smoker and I find smoke disgusting, too, so I totally understand someone being put off by it, but I wouldn't make rash judgments about the person, especially considering that 1) we don't know that the person selling the diapers was a smoker 2) we don't know that anyone in their house smoked (could have been a mail carrier) and 3) it's possible the person became a smoker before they became a health conscious environmentalist

All that said, I've never had a problem with anything I've sold smelling like cigarettes. I also know that sometimes things can smell like cigarette smoke that have never been anywhere near cigarette smoke, and I think it's something else creating that smell but who knows what! Also, having lived with a smoker, I can tell you that even if they don't smoke in the house and wash their hands after they smoke, things can smell like smoke sometimes. That cigarette stink is just such an awful, clingy smell

But I wouldn't assume this person must be pinning a diaper on in one hand while puffing on a cigarette with the other and blowing smoke all over the baby, for all the reasons mentioned above. (Not that that isn't a possibility, too, I just find it to be the LEAST likely possibility).

As for getting rid of the smell: Wash and dry? Is the smell is still there, to be honest it makes me think it's NOT cigarette smoke smell? (Maybe a weird smelling must or something else?) because there's been a few times that my kids clothes have smelled like smoke to me (again, despite my husband not smoking around them) and I don't know for sure if that's what caused the smell or not, but I know our house-cleaner at the time would wash and dry them her "normal way" and they would come out smelling SO yummy and delicious. I admit her normal way must be some kind of magic though, because generally my washed clothes smell like NOTHING and her washed clothes smell like a perfume counter in the mall LOL. But even when I washed them, they would come out smelling like nothing.

FWIW, I've very sensitive to cigarette smoke, despite my husband having been a smoker for so many years, and honestly I can often smell it when no one else can, but I just wouldn't jump the gun to make an judgments. Washing and drying should help, if it doesn't, also try hang drying, and as has been said, it might not actually be smoke that caused the smell and if it is it might not have anything to do with the seller or anyone who lives in the seller's house.

Also, no one's perfect, and almost everyone I know has a vice. Even the healthiest person I know struggles not to drink a Diet Coke a few times a week, and that stuff can dissolve a penny . . . yet she is so health conscious that her kids NEVER eat ANY kind of junk and aren't even allowed to drink from water fountains.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaperDiva View Post

My husband just quit smoking last week. Bad habit, started when he was a teen, struggled to quit, but THANK GOODNESS he finally quit. It took years for him to get to the point he even WANTED to quit though. I am not a smoker and I find smoke disgusting, too, so I totally understand someone being put off by it, but I wouldn't make rash judgments about the person, especially considering that 1) we don't know that the person selling the diapers was a smoker 2) we don't know that anyone in their house smoked (could have been a mail carrier) and 3) it's possible the person became a smoker before they became a health conscious environmentalist

All that said, I've never had a problem with anything I've sold smelling like cigarettes. I also know that sometimes things can smell like cigarette smoke that have never been anywhere near cigarette smoke, and I think it's something else creating that smell but who knows what! Also, having lived with a smoker, I can tell you that even if they don't smoke in the house and wash their hands after they smoke, things can smell like smoke sometimes. That cigarette stink is just such an awful, clingy smell

But I wouldn't assume this person must be pinning a diaper on in one hand while puffing on a cigarette with the other and blowing smoke all over the baby, for all the reasons mentioned above. (Not that that isn't a possibility, too, I just find it to be the LEAST likely possibility).

As for getting rid of the smell: Wash and dry? Is the smell is still there, to be honest it makes me think it's NOT cigarette smoke smell? (Maybe a weird smelling must or something else?) because there's been a few times that my kids clothes have smelled like smoke to me (again, despite my husband not smoking around them) and I don't know for sure if that's what caused the smell or not, but I know our house-cleaner at the time would wash and dry them her "normal way" and they would come out smelling SO yummy and delicious. I admit her normal way must be some kind of magic though, because generally my washed clothes smell like NOTHING and her washed clothes smell like a perfume counter in the mall LOL. But even when I washed them, they would come out smelling like nothing.

FWIW, I've very sensitive to cigarette smoke, despite my husband having been a smoker for so many years, and honestly I can often smell it when no one else can, but I just wouldn't jump the gun to make an judgments. Washing and drying should help, if it doesn't, also try hang drying, and as has been said, it might not actually be smoke that caused the smell and if it is it might not have anything to do with the seller or anyone who lives in the seller's house.

Also, no one's perfect, and almost everyone I know has a vice. Even the healthiest person I know struggles not to drink a Diet Coke a few times a week, and that stuff can dissolve a penny . . . yet she is so health conscious that her kids NEVER eat ANY kind of junk and aren't even allowed to drink from water fountains.
Well said.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #17
77Lipen
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaperDiva

Tell your friend to just have a regular coke damnit!!! Lol

I got most of the smell out. But she had dyed 1/2 of the diapers green and they bled onto the white (I don't care to much, they will just catch poop after all, just disappointed). Now they just smell like powdery chemicals (? That's my best description). Gonna chuck them outside today, let them soak up the sun.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #18
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaperDiva View Post

Old 04-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #19
kynid
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxgirl View Post
Just to offer another possibility, I've seen mail carriers and truck drivers smoking, and have heard of instances where shipped items smelled like smoke as a result of the mail carrier or truck driver smoking in the truck.
This happened to me once. I do NOT smoke, but a mom said her package smelled and I offered to refund her if the smell didn't come out in the first wash. She was really nice about it and the smell did come out and everyone was happy, but I felt embarrassed that someone would think I was a smoker, especially in my home with a baby.