Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Kait5757
Registered Users
seller
seller

Small wash or large wash load??

I do laundry about every other to every third day. My washer is really big though so the diapers only come up half way and don't fill the wash. Should I use my small or large load setting or does it really matter?

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Mrs2011
Registered Users

I always wash with a super load the more water the better
Mrs2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Small wash or large wash load??

I would say large, thinking maybe a small load doesn't wash as long or use as much water.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
saturn
Registered Users

I have the same situation. I wash them on the setting I would use for a similarly-sized load of clothes (small to medium). Then for the rinses I set it larger. If you have too much water in the wash cycle, the diapers don't rub up against each other when they agitate, which makes them less clean. For the rinses, it's better to have more water. Here's a really good explanation: http://blog.bummis.com/2011/10/laundry-science.html
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My washing machine is a top loader energy efficient model we bought new 2 years ago. It measures the water for you by weighing the clothes inside. Sometimes I really wish there was an option for more water. It agitates well but the measured water thing erks me. My husband and I HATE our washing machine! Don't ever buy one I do 2nd rinses because of this and heavy wash cold cycle first, then hot wash on soak cycle 2 rinses for each wash.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
Kait5757
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn
I have the same situation. I wash them on the setting I would use for a similarly-sized load of clothes (small to medium). Then for the rinses I set it larger. If you have too much water in the wash cycle, the diapers don't rub up against each other when they agitate, which makes them less clean. For the rinses, it's better to have more water. Here's a really good explanation: http://blog.bummis.com/2011/10/laundry-science.html
This is what I have been doing. Thanks for the reassurance!!
Old 04-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The thing is, for maximum cleaning you want to make sure you have the right amount of water. More water isn't always better because the fabric has to rub against each other to scrub them clean. Likewise, too little water would obviously be bad too. It's hard to say which level you should use just because I don't know what it looks like, but if I were you I would just take a peek in there and make sure that the diapers have enough room to float around some, but that they're still rubbing against one another, if that makes sense It's not an exact science by any means, but you just don't want to be at once extreme or the other.

ETA: Oops! Looks like a PP already addressed this. Sorry. I must have missed that reply the first time I read through. Yeah, what she said
Old 04-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

I wash the same as you every two to 3 days I still use the largest (super capicity) I'm ussually washing between 10-15 diapers its still "full" enough to allow the diapers to aggitate sgainst each other.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote