Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Re: Wool poison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I think I am going to move to a mountain top. Drink filtered water. Eat only organic food grown in the least polluted country. And wear no clothing because nothing appears safe to breath, eat, drink, or wear.
just be sure not to get altitude sickness

Advertisement

RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
tentrevival
Registered Users
seller

i have never heard such a thing before. some people just want to scare people about everything. wool is the best and most natural thing you can use on your baby. if you are concerned there are a lot of moms who make recycled wool covers, so those have been washed a lot already, and organic wool is widely available. my favorite new wool diaper maker is one love diaper co. and she uses all organic everything. Wool interlock fabric from nature's fabrics is Oeko Tex Standard 100 certified, pretty much the highest standard there is for fabric being free from harmful substances, and that is where most WAHMs get their fabric.
Wife to RJ, who makes the world a beautiful place. Adoring Momma to Efrim Phoenix, my little prince (8-17-09), Julian Russell, my wild thing (11-04-10), Oscar Pax, our little bear (8-16-13), and missing Lucy Soul (1-29-12)
tentrevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
umajo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytushi View Post
Thanks for this answer. If I just buy plain wool wouldn't washing several times get out the residue? I have no problem getting organic if I can find it. But if I choose used sometimes it is hard to tell.
I don't know for sure, but I think that washing would help remove any residues. Cotton is also heavily sprayed with pesticides, but most people don't worry about residues in their t-shirts.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:53 AM   #14
OrchidMama
Registered Users
seller

I don't think there is a danger of off gassing with wool covers, since they get washed. The gas is produced when that fungus with a long name feeds off human secretions anyway. I think cloth is still a way safer option than disposables.
OrchidMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:02 AM   #15
an_aurora
Registered Users

I grew up on a sheep ranch and we didn't dip our sheep. That's to prevent scabies, lice, etc. but we never had issue with it. You can also use a treatment that's like Frontline/Advantage for dogs, that is put on after the sheep is shorn.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #16
coveredcaboose
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytushi View Post
Thanks for this answer. If I just buy plain wool wouldn't washing several times get out the residue? I have no problem getting organic if I can find it. But if I choose used sometimes it is hard to tell.
I know this is old, but I suspect that by the time the wool gets to you, it has been scoured and the majority of the toxins would be gone anyway. Some wools are oeko-tex 100 certified anyway, so that company says nothing is left that will harm you.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #17
nachoslyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServingHim View Post
And you would still be near something that will kill you!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #18
rangefibers
Registered Users
seller

If you're looking for organic wool, I really love O-wool. It's sourced from farms in the US as well.

As for the article, ditto what everyone else said. We haven't started using wool with cloth yet (soon!) but I'm a knitter and wool is just about my favorite thing in the world. Then again, I'm picky about the yarn I buy so I'm not concerned.
rangefibers is offline   Reply With Quote