Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #41
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by buko View Post
That's interesting... So, is it only the NB sposies with the pee strips? Wonder why... they figure you'll be a better judge of wetness by the time your baby gets out of the NB size, or...?
I wonder if it has to do with counting wet diapers for newbies. I haven't used formula, but I imagine even formula fed babies need to have wet/poop diapers counted. Post newborn phase I have only been asked to count diapers when ds was sick.

Advertisement

RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #42
Featherhead
Registered Users

Re: How many SPOSIES does the average parent of a newborn go through?

I have a friend who said her 3 month old only used 3 diapers a day! I didn't say anything to her. But I wondered what she told the doctor at well baby checks, or the public health nurse when getting needles. They usually ask how many wet diapers and how many poopy diapers, and at 3 months they would expect the answer to be 6-8 or so for wet diapers.

I think we went through anywhere from 10-18 in a day with newborns.
Featherhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #43
flylady0505
Registered Users
seller

Hi at least 10 I didn't start to cloth until my ds was 4 months so it was at least 10 if not more.
flylady0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #44
sdavis514
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by buko View Post
(BTW, when I say 15, I include those diapers that were wet right on the changing table, etc.)

I kind of assume folks here (even when you have used sposies) change more often than the average sposie user, though... no? Would you say the average sposie user (say, American/Canadian) uses fewer? The same? More?
I would say that the people on this site change more often than the average parent! I worked daycare for over 10 years, in all sorts of different places ( different towns, big and small centers, different economic classes) and the average for most sposies users is only 6-8 times a day. Most people go atleast 3 hours in between changes unless they are poopy. Sposies really do hold alot and most people feel for wetness, but a sposie won't feel wet until atleast 2-3 pees like that. We were required to change every 2 hours max in daycare and would get many complaints from parents about using too many diapers ( they provided them).

AFM, I used sposies when my DS was a newborn -6 months. I would never let him go over 2 hours between changes, except when sleeping. He was a pooper after every single nursing session ( which was like hourly! ) so I would estimate that I changed him 10-15 times a day for the first 3 months. But I know that I got alot of comments from others ( friends with kids, family, coworkers at daycare) that I changed him too often.

Last edited by sdavis514; 04-10-2013 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added personal experience
sdavis514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #45
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I am always supprised when people say they cannot tell. With a simple critch grab I can feel the change in the chrystal texture. That said, I do not change with itsy bitsy pees, gasp. I also however do not leave them sopping off. I would say I usually change around every 3 hours in sposies. But I find my cloth routine to be about the same. SO who know. My older one can go much longer as few as 5 diapers but hes 2,5 so he holds and unloads.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #46
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+2macht4 View Post
I am always supprised when people say they cannot tell. With a simple critch grab I can feel the change in the chrystal texture. That said, I do not change with itsy bitsy pees, gasp. I also however do not leave them sopping off. I would say I usually change around every 3 hours in sposies. But I find my cloth routine to be about the same. SO who know. My older one can go much longer as few as 5 diapers but hes 2,5 so he holds and unloads.
I think were probably closer in how we change. My newbies are really sensitive to stuff and I tended to change with each pee because covers rubbed them weird so I went coverless a lot. Holdinga wee one in just a prefodl meant more frequent changes.. On the occasion we did a disposable though every 2ish hours was probably more normal. Once my babies start becomming less sensitive more mobile ect then I'm perfectly fine letting a cloth diaper go 2-3 hours.. Now we average about 4-5 a day at her age they jsut natually hold longer I rarely change a truly soaked diapers many times it is still dry overall minus a little middle section and I have to feel the assorbant *non stay dry* area to even tell. Plus honestly we only cloth diaper during to day anyways which is typically around 7am-7pmish.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #47
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wasn't never asked a number. I was asked if I thought he was pooping and peeing normally but never a number.

3 a say could be that she is just not changing baby enough.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #48
AmeliasMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My SIL has her kids in Day Care from about 2 weeks on. They have all been there for at least 10 hours a day, and on average, she was so pleased that they "only" used 2-4 diapers a day, she was saving so much in diapers. Ummm....Ewwwww.....I change mine everytime they are wet or dirty. Matter of fact in my house. On average, maybe 12 a day? Bf'ed only.
AmeliasMum is online now   Reply With Quote