Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2007, 11:52 AM   #21
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Has anyone tried an unassisted homebirth on their first pregnancy?

They aren't legal in Georgia either, but a lot of them still practice..

Advertisement

Old 08-23-2007, 12:06 PM   #22
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

True, in a lot of areas, you can still find them. I looked a lot around here and was unsuccessful. Perhaps in the more rural area that Ashley lives in, there may be one.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:10 PM   #23
moni54
Registered Users

I don't think they're legal here, either, but they still get around. And since they are usually sliding scale, insurance shouldn't be a problem. My mom paid $50 for my bro's birth with a lay midwife. Just an option.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:29 PM   #24
judahmom
Registered Users
seller

My DH and I took a Bradley Method class adn we're really glad we did. We had DS in the hospital, but the class was sooo informative, especially about what's happening during which stages of labor, etc, and since DH wouldn't study up on labor like I would, the class was great b/c it "forced" him to learn about everything (he enjoyed it too)
judahmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #25
MamaJoyful
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, I didn't realize how fortunate I was in my state to have homebirth be legal. How many states have to deal with it being illegal!
Old 08-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #26
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saramommy123 View Post
Wow, I didn't realize how fortunate I was in my state to have homebirth be legal. How many states have to deal with it being illegal!
HOMEBIRTH IS NOT ILLEGAL ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!

Sorry to shout, just wanted to make sure that was CLEAR.

HAVING your baby at home is NEVER illegal.
However, all states regulate WHO may attend a birth at home(in terms of professionals), and in some states, midwives are not legally permitted to attend homebirths. however, they still practice, just with the fear of potential prosecution.

I live in a state where NURSE-midwives may legally attend births at home, but non-nurse midwives may not.
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:04 PM   #27
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

I had a UC with my first. I'm planning a second one for January - ish.

Right now, I have a video out from the library called "gentle birth choices" REALLY good for the DH - although it does not deal with UC in particualr, in deals with birth center and homebirths, with LOTS of commentary (from doctors and midwives, expeerts, etc) on how interventions are bad, etc.....

Personally, I think the UC forum at mothering is good, the Cbirth list is good - but can be a bit militant and harsh sometimes. Empowered childbirth is also good, and it is about being empowered during birth, and while many are UC'ers, many more are planning midwife-assisted homebirths, and even some low-intervention hospital births.

For me, if I could go back and learn/know just ONE thing that I didn't know before my UC, it would be that it *might* hurt like HELL.
In the natural birthing/homebirthing/UC community, "pain" tends to be blamed on the "bad" stuff - like being in a hospital, in a bad position, flat on your back, without food, with drugs to augment, etc. There is all this info about how to use "natural", pain relieving techniques, but IMO, NOT a lot of info that sometimes, regardless of what you do, it just hurts WAY more than you ever, EVER, could have imagined. there is actually a thread at mothering in the UC forum about this....it was suggested we do new moms a disservice by "downplaying" the pain and that causes more first-timers to transfer, etc.....and then of course, you get the moms that really DON'T feel amuch pain during their birth....and while that's great, you might not be one of them, regardless of how much you prepare.
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:40 PM   #28
MamaJoyful
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
HOMEBIRTH IS NOT ILLEGAL ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!

Sorry to shout, just wanted to make sure that was CLEAR.

HAVING your baby at home is NEVER illegal.
However, all states regulate WHO may attend a birth at home(in terms of professionals), and in some states, midwives are not legally permitted to attend homebirths. however, they still practice, just with the fear of potential prosecution.

I live in a state where NURSE-midwives may legally attend births at home, but non-nurse midwives may not.
Hmmmm. Ya, I think I *did* actually know that somewhere in my head, lol! But I am sorta out of the loop on it I guess. Thanks for clarifying.

I also liked the point you made about pain. Unfortunately, pain can be a very real part of uncomplicated labor, and it can last for several hours. Being unrealistic about it definately does not help. I think the most important thing is to have support and encouragement. Laboring mamas need someone who can help them get through the roughest parts. I sure wish I knew more about pain management techniques. My last labor was very hard for me at the very end. Didn't last long, but I wanted out of the experience SO bad! This time I"m going to need to rethink the whole thing. I hated the water birth with my fourth, whereas it was good with my third. I hope we'll find something to help us through this time.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:10 PM   #29
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigfamily View Post
MOthering has a UC forum. It is very good, lots of birth stories and support (book recs too). I was thinking about it with this baby but dh and I just don't feel comfortable with it. We have had NICU babies and we don't want to take any chances. I hope you find what you are looking for.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=306
That's what I was going to reccommend too.
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote