Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
Erin0183
Registered Users
seller

Natural shampoo & conditioner recommendations

I'm looking for a good natural shampoo and conditioner. Any suggestions? I used Burt's Bees for a while, but it just didn't cut it for my very thick, naturally curly hair. It felt dry and tangled all the time, so I went back to mainstream products.

I was hoping to find something that comes in at a 4 or below on the EWG skin deep web database for those of you who are familiar...

Thanks!

Advertisement

Erin0183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:21 AM   #2
alix
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Natural shampoo & conditioner recommendations

I like chagrin valley soap and salve. They are out of Ohio, I believe and have fantastic products. The soap bars are between 5-7 but are huge. All natural, organic, and many vegan products.
alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

I hesitate to provide too many recommendations b/c I have very fine wavy hair. But I will say a couple of things.

One, lately I've only been washing every other day and so have been able to get away with no conditioner in the tub and a squirt of Aura Cacia Organic Argan Oil after towel drying. I've been impressed, and the amount used is quite cost effective. I've always used both conditioner and leave-in conditioner before. I understand it is supposed to be good for all hair types. It seems to me that thicker-haired people do pretty well with using coconut oil in this fashion too, which is even cheaper.

I'm struggling to redo my entire wash routine b/c it has come to my attention that some of my skin problems are likely from gluten (wheat protein, et. al.) in my shampoos (I have to eat gluten free). Thus, I had found some good natural shampoos but am trying new brands like Desert Essence and Acure Organic (the latter of which which I have bought but not yet tried). Previously I was having some success with Avalon Organics and with the less perfectly natural Mill Creek Botanicals brands. The particulars of what I used in those brands probably don't matter as much as the brands, since you have a different hair type.

I have found that the very pricey Aubrey Organics brand was a no-go in my shower both b/c of its poor performance in hard water and my allergies to some of the main ingredients (pine extract) in one of them. So that was an expensive waste. But I am very happy with Aubrey Organics leave-in products for body and hair. For instance, although it is very, very hard to put it in thin enough for my fine hair, you may like their NuStyle Serum. I like their sea buckthorn facial lotion, their B6 conditioning gel, and their curl enhancer spray.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Elia
Registered Users
seller

I would also check out Creation Pharm in Michigan - online it is creationsoap . com. They are all natural soap, shampoo, lotion, etc, products and are a wonderful resource. If you give them a call, they will tell you what they would suggest for your hair. I use their shampoo soap for my hair as well as a vingar rinse and it works great. But I have straight hair.

Give Anna and Mike and ring and they will help you!
Elia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
terrordactyl
Registered Users
seller

my whole foods just started carrying a line just for curly hair called BeCurly i think or something like that.
terrordactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

HH

Happy Hausfrau - she has coops on here.

I've been using her shampoo and conditioner since December and I love it. I bought my mom and my sister some too.

I also love her deodorant.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Happy-...45840788770057

The next co-op on here in next month. So if you aren't a co-op participant it would be good to applynow.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
velouria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been using a shampoo by Acure Organics. LOVE IT. It smells like cherries, suds' up well, and makes my thick hair super soft. I wash every other day. I have the one with Moroccan argan oil and buy it on Vitacost.com (best price!).
http://www.vitacost.com/acure-organics-shampoo-moroccan-argan-oil-and-argan-stem-cell-12-fl-oz-1?csrc=GPF-PA-854049002224&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_ sku=854049002224&gclid=CN_3uv_D0rYCFaU5QgodIkYAxg

I can't remember the name of the conditioner I use. It's organic and I picked it up from Target one day last-minute because I'd run out of conditioner. It works fine but in the future I'm going to buy only Acure brand. I've tried *a lot* of different organic brands and have been especially impressed with Acure.
velouria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
Erin0183
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't decided on anything yet, but I am intrigued by a couple of the recommendations. I guess I should have mentioned that I only wash my hair every 3 days or so. Any more than that is too much for my very thick hair... I tend to use my Chi to straighten my hair around 3x per week as well.
Erin0183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
Savannah mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I love Ava Anderson Nontoxic! Email me for a discount code: naturalfitmama@gmail.com
Savannah mommy is offline   Reply With Quote