View Poll Results: What would you do?
Different pediatric dentist, probable papoosing or nitrous 7 53.85%
Save up money for back up dentist 2 15.38%
insist on silver fillings 3 23.08%
other and please explain! 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #31
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What would you do?

I think I'd just do the silver. But, DS has been papoosed for multiple medical tests. It doesn't bother him that much once he gets over the initial being restrained. He is a G-J kid, so we do that to him every 3 months when we change out his tube fully awake.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:40 AM   #32
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Or a 4th option, heal the cavities naturally.

Pm me if you'd like our story of how we did it, what we used, etc.

Last edited by Connor; 04-18-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:07 AM   #33
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just wanted to mention that around here I don't now of a dentist that does "metal" fillings anymore Not sure why but they all have switched to tooth matching only. Also, many of the dentist in our area have the children to the hospital for sedation when they need work done. My friend is a nurse in the same dy surgery of our local hospital and sees kids most every day.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #34
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

My mouth has many teeth that are more filling than tooth. Some of my fillings are tooth colored/resin, some are silver, depending on location. And there has NEVER been a significant difference in "dry time." Now, when I have had fillings done, it's always been multiple fillings at once, and if I recall correctly, my dentist has always done it so that everything being done at the same time is all the same kind of filling, maybe for easy of mixing and billing? I dunno. But, I haven't ever had to deal with an extended dry time when doing tooth colored fillings. And I have some front teeth that have some pretty extensive fillings because of an infection that got pretty bad.

One thing I will say is that when I have gotten tooth colored fillings, my dentist always hits them with a specialized UV light gun. I know they do that to help it dry. Perhaps that is why I have never experienced any sort of difference in dry time? Maybe ask your dentist about something like that.

If they don't do that or don't have that gun, I would honestly start looking around for a new dentist.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:44 AM   #35
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Oh, also, I would NEVER papoose my child for a dental visit unless it was some sort of emergency situation. Not that I think there is anything really inherently wrong or dangerous about it. I just think that being tied down is SO traumatizing for a child, I would be afraid that my kid would grow up and be 30 years old and so terrified of the dentist to never go and end up with horrific teeth as a result. My sister was injured when she was TWO and had to have 4 stitches. She doesn't remember the injury or the stitches, but she was papoosed to removed the stitches and she can accurately describe the board and how she kicked the doctor and the nurses and what color the walls and carpet were in the room. She was TWO and she is 33 now and still clearly remembers exactly what happened that day and the terror she felt at being papoosed.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #36
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Ok, I appreciate all the responses. For everyone who is mentioning getting a different dentist, silver fillings, etc I am on state insurance (Medicaid). It is so difficult to find a dentist. I am extremely fortunate to have a dentist who not only sees my whole family, but is actually a pretty decent clinic. They usually go above and beyond what most dentists in our network even do (fluoride treatments, deep cleanings, etc.) But they don't offer nitrous oxide at all, even to cash paying or private insurance patients. If I call around for a different pediatric dentist I am likely to A: not find one, B: get a crappy one, C: have a super long wait. So I feel like my only options here are to have them do silver fillings, pay for it out of pocket somewhere where they will do the tooth colored filling without an issue, or C: try to heal it naturally. I think I will try option C for right now since our appointment isn't until June. Thanks!