Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #11
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dairy/milk allergy?

I agree with the PPs. However I wanted to share my experiance for what it is worth.

My son developed a milk intolerance. He would get bad diarrhea after he had milk. It took us a while to figure out but once we did, we put him on raw milk. He was fine. Then one week we couldn't get raw milk and put him on pasteurized milk (the only thing legal in our state, we cross state lines to get our raw milk) and he got the diarrhea again. He can eat pasteurized cheeses and yogurts (though I am making my own now so it isn't pasteurized) but we learned that sometimes dairy allergies do go away if you put them on raw. I guess it has to do with the live aspects of raw milk. I wouldn't put my child on soy and the rest of the milks scare me a bit too except for goats, but not as bad a soy. As an infertility patient soy scares the ___ out of me.

Good luck! I hope you find answers soon!

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #12
Mrsfroberg
Registered Users

I'll do some research when I get a chance, but what is so bad about soy?! I love these forums as I am always learning something new!

Also, lactose free milk won't work well?! Isn't that what it's made for though? Those who are lactose intolerant? ugh! Seriously, our peds here are awful, but being Tricare in a small town with no nearby base we don't have many choices. I usually just take what they say, smile and nod. We've never actually had any real issues with the kids until now! Thanks for all the info!

Alli: loving wife to my geeky Air Force Computer Engineer , Brandon
Mommy to: Audrey (2.10.07), William (2.16.09), and Eloise (8.10.10)
Maxwell & Charlotte (3.13.2012)

Mrsfroberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #13
Mrsfroberg
Registered Users

dp

Alli: loving wife to my geeky Air Force Computer Engineer , Brandon
Mommy to: Audrey (2.10.07), William (2.16.09), and Eloise (8.10.10)
Maxwell & Charlotte (3.13.2012)

Last edited by Mrsfroberg; 04-18-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Mrsfroberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #14
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsfroberg View Post
I'll do some research when I get a chance, but what is so bad about soy?! I love these forums as I am always learning something new!

Also, lactose free milk won't work well?! Isn't that what it's made for though? Those who are lactose intolerant? ugh! Seriously, our peds here are awful, but being Tricare in a small town with no nearby base we don't have many choices. I usually just take what they say, smile and nod. We've never actually had any real issues with the kids until now! Thanks for all the info!
The research on soy is controversial. So I know that there are mama's on here that will disagree with me.

First off, most of the soy produced in this country is GMO. The government says it is safe, but if this something that is on your radar you should be aware of that.

Soy mimics estrogen in the body. That is the reason why I never took it while I was cycling. My doctor had to closely monitor my estrogen in my body to know when to treat me with what. For instance when I was dealing with IVF and egg retrievals, a typical mature egg produces about 2000 in estrogen. You can imagine if I were to take soy that number could vary wildly and make it so that my doctor wouldn't know (despite the ultrasounds that he was also doing) what my body was doing. As not all follicles will produce an egg.

This is a list of studies that have been done saying soy is bad: http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-aler...effects-of-soy

Take it for what it is worth. I don't think it is worth the risk in my family, but you have to make your own decision. I will NEVER say that what works for my family is what EVERYONE should be doing. I would much rather have people do their own research and come to their own conclusions.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #15
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

We use soy. If we had more choices locally available to us we might have chosen them instead, but we didn't. 3ladybugs hit the major concerns in her post. The only thing I have found that people agree on that if there is a family history of estrogen caused cancers then you should avoid large amounts of soy. We don't have a family history of estrogen cancers. I don't worry so much about the GMO stuff because there are lots of soy products available that claim to be non GMO. For us our main concern is with the hormones. DD only drinks about 8oz of milk these days so we aren't as concerned but we still try to mix it up a little. Soy is the closest in nutrition to cows milk. From my understanding hemp would be next, then almond and coconut I believe are pretty close to each other. Rice has very little nutritional value and is not recommended for kids under 5 as their milk source.

The lactose free milk is for lactose intolerance. Its completely different from an allergy. Lactose intolerance is the inability to process the sugar in dairy and is a GI reaction. Allergies are to the proteins in dairy and are an immune response. Lactose free milk works great for people with lactose intolerances, but the protein is still present so what causes an allergic reaction is still present. Hope I am not over explaining, just trying to be helpful.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #16
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Looking for some advice on a possible milk allergy.

We recently introduced our 13 month old twins to whole milk (they are breast fed babies). They had some here and there, then a stomach bug hit the house, so we cut out milk for about 3 weeks until it cleared. Introduced it again, M had an entire sippy throughout the day and at dinner vomited everywhere. He also got a rash on his cheeks. We weren't sure if it was the bug again, or a possible allergy, but decided to cut out milk again. We waited another three weeks, and tried it again last Wed, and he had a tummy ache all night and woke with an awful diaper and a bloody rash!! That confirmed our thoughts and decided to completely cut milk out. (He seems to do just fine with yogurt and cheese)

Well, today our 4 year old decided to share his milk during snack, M *maybe* got an ounce before I took it away. About 2 hours later he threw up all over. Is that common with a food allergy? No rash, but no one seems sick either. So I'm guessing it's from the milk. They had their well visit yesterday and they just told us to give soy or lactose free milk and that it was no big deal. But, if he's throwing up after an ounce is it more serious?! Our 4 year old has an appt on Friday and I plan on talking to them again about it. We don't have any allergies at all, so I'm new to all of this!

TIA!
There is a blood test that can confirm a true milk protein allergy. Haven't read all responses but that's what they did for dd1. She couldn't tolerate even bm. We do almond milk .
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #17
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think 3ladybugs hit on most people's objections to soy. Especially having boys we avoid using soy milk. The other concern would be that I believe soy is one of the top 8 for allergens. I'm avoiding right now as part of my elimination (I think I'm reactive to it) and I have a friend whose son reacts to it right along with dairy. To me soy is worth using in small amounts (such as in sauces and tofu dishes) but not as in a dairy replacer that my kids are going to consume larger amounts of. If you want to use soy milk use it sparingly. It is also low on nutrients by comparison to Coconut milk or Hemp Milk. There are plenty of safer options such as Almond Milk, Coconut Milk and Hemp Milk. My oldest just won't drink any "milk" but likes cheese and yogurt. He has no dairy issues so I will buy him some of these things. My youngest loves his dairy but can't have it. He drinks and uses Coconut milk, Hazelnut milk, Almond milk and Almond milk. Rice milk is also an option but has no real health benefits and I don't like the taste so we don't use it. We use goat's milk cheese because it is the only option for cheese that does not have goat's milk proteins in it (that is what Tharen reacts to). The vegan cheeses whether rice milk or soy all have casein in them and will make Tharen sick. Lactose free milks will be fine for your child if you child is lactose intolerant but will not work for a child who is truly allergic to milk. Goat or sheep milk and cheeses might depending on the allergy.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #18
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My boys have pretty severe reactions to cow's milk and I am against soy milk (for reasons already stated) but they do just fine on goat's milk. I have a local farm that sells goat's milk and as long as we stick 100% to that they don't have eczema/diarrhea issues. They can eat a bit of milk in baked goods and yogurt doesn't seem to bother them too much but they can't do cheese. I like the taste of goat's milk but I also get coconut milk for me and rice milk for DH (DH is really intolerant to cow's milk, I'm fine with it, but I don't keep it in the house because I don't want any to end up in my boys.)
Old 04-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #19
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Soy is just hard for the body to break down and without it being fermented, soaked or ways to reduce the phytic acid there isn't a whole lot of benefit over other type of milk.

I do fine with non-pasteurized dairy. It's really the enzymes aside from better nutrients that are intact with raw milk or raw goat's milk. Though goat's milk's protein structure is very close to that of a mother's milk so if you can get it then I would try that. I love soy milk's taste but haven't bought one in years. Organic or not it didn't matter, made me completely gassy.

Be careful with almond milk also as almonds use heavy pesticides and unless it's organic personally I wouldn't feel comfortable drinking it not knowing exactly how much toxin is in the milk.

Obviously it's all about levels and choosing what's better within the options you have
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote