Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

I'm limited on baby wearing due to an old injury giving me issues, but I still use our carriers a during the week on a limited basis and hubby definitely uses them.

I have never used a wrap. Would it be more supportive than using a SSC? What would be a good one to start out with? My daughter is 18lbs and 9 months if that matters.

Advertisement

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
saturn
Registered Users

Re: Talk to me about wrapping.

I'm not sure which is more "supportive". Wraps are nice because, when wrapped skillfully, they allow you to distribute the baby's weight over a larger area. You can try different carries to customize the weight distribution how you like it. You can also wear the baby higher on your back than you usually can with an SSC, which is generally more comfortable. Plus, for me wrapping is a fun intellectual exercise- there is always a new carry to work on or technique to try.
The downside to a wrap is that it is somewhat more complicated to learn, takes longer to get baby in and out, and the length of fabric can be cumbersome in some situations.
Usually for a new wrapper it's good to start out with a sturdy cotton woven wrap in a size 6 (a 5 is fine if you are petite or a 7 if you are plus-sized). Storchenwiege Leos, Didymos cotton stripes, Dolcinos, and BbSlens are all good ones to consider, but there are plenty of other brands that would also work well.
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
solnishka7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

imo a wrap is the most comfortable and supportive carrier choice. its all about practice with them though... once u get the hang of getting the rails nice and tight and getting a good seat youll find them much more supportive then a ssc.... for me i like a ssc for a fast trip to the store, or if im just too lazy and dont want to mess with a wrap. a good size is a 5or 6but if your a plus size mama then a good beginner size (i would think) would be a 7...
Old 04-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
jojoreta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We just started wrapping in February. It is amazing. I will say that if you're planning on doing multi layer passes go with a 6. Multi layer passes are also a little more supportive so it may be more comfy for you. Girasols are known for not being super great with bigger kids, however I have carried my 2 year old in one and we were fine. I don't have many different brands but my kokadi's are my most comfortable wraps. I love them! Especially diorite, even brand new it is super soft and supportive.

With that being said I feel like I must give a shout out to mei tai's. Whether they're converted from a wrap or just a basic babyhawk, they are amazing. Not as many options to carry, but since I'm new to wrapping I can't get baby up super high yet. With a mei tai I can get a nice high carry which takes more pressure off my lower back and my neck. I have horrible neck problems so if something isn't super comfortable I won't wear it.
jojoreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
sugardumplings
Registered Users
seller

If your still looking for a wrap Ive got Little Frog wraps and ring slings for pre-order on my store at http://hyenacart.com/stores/sugardumplings/. They range from $54 for a ring sling or size 4 to $97 for a sz 7 linen blend rainbow. You can also do a deposit for the pre-order so you dont have to pay all at once. We are also on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/sugardumplingsfluff
sugardumplings is offline   Reply With Quote