Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

What sources do your kids use for research?

My kids are in grades 1 and 3, and I wish I had something better to offer them when they need to do research. Like today, our curriculum told them to look up information on spiders and answer a few questions. They're capable of looking stuff up on the computer, but I refuse to just give them free reign to Google! I wish we had a computer/internet-based encyclopedia, or something like that. I've looked up some online, and the ones I've found are a subscription- like $70/year. If I'm going to pay $70, I'd rather it be something I own (like a program on my computer).

Do you have any recommendations for me? Thanks!!

Advertisement

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
kts1120
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What sources do your kids use for research?

A few that I use with my gifted students are
kidrex
factmonster
kidsclick
quinturakids

You may be able to access the online encyclopedias at your library for free also.
kts1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I randomly buy children's encyclopedias to have in the house. We have 3 or 4 right now. For spiders, I would look in this one that I own...http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

I also buy up random non-fiction books at Goodwill and the like...most often about science topics, but I'll grab anything non-fiction that looks like it might come in handy. So, we also have several non-fiction kids books on spiders or creepy crawlies that he could look in.

Lastly, I go to the library every few weeks and get books on anything we will be studying in the next few weeks. So, I'd have picked up a few on spiders he could use for research.

That is what we do.

ETA - My kids are 7 and under. The oldest will be starting 2nd soon.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I look ahead and get books from the library. I'll usually reserve them online so I just have to stop by and pick them up.

We also have a few books on random subjects as I find them for a really good price or someone buys them for us. For instance, my parents knew we were doing astronomy this year, so for Christmas they bought us a telescope and some books about the stars. My MIL and oma have bought us books over the years as well about different people and things. I don't keep a ton at home because of space issues (and moving issues), but a few.

We actually don't use the internet a whole lot for research for them. Should it matter, my kids are 7th grade, 4th grade, and kindergarten.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We do keep quite a few books in the house (ok I'm a book hoarder and the kids aren't much better) but when I want the kids to do research online I send them to National Geographic, discovery, BBC or Mr.Donn (history but there is a related science site) primarily. I will let my oldest do google research with me present and we have discussed what makes a site better or worse but most of the time he is going to go back to one of the sites he is familiar with. I have a ton of links saved for everything from history to science that the kids can use.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

We do use the library a lot, but I'm also trying to find a way to look stuff up more spontaneously.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I buy up non-fiction/reference books at used book sales. My intention is to teach my children how to do book research and THEN add in the internet down the road. I feel they need to know how to use encyclopedias/books/etc versus just typing into google and letting that find them information.