Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
Stamina
Registered Users
seller
seller

Schedule

Just wondering if anyone may be willing to share their selective and/or delayed vaccination schedules with me? Feel free to PM me if you'd feel more comfortable . Thank you!

Advertisement

Last edited by Stamina; 05-31-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Stamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Belbaby3728
Banned

My DD is 16 months. We started vaccines at 3 months. She got 2 vaccines in the same time period but not on the same day. Only one shot at a time spaced 2 weeks apart. She had dtap/hib/polio combo shot I believe- I was not happy with this and wanted them in separate shots but office doesn't carry and we were already a month behind on starting shots due to problems with first doctor not being ok with delayed vaccines. 2 weeks after that she had PC vaccine (mengintitis). She has had 3 boosters of dtap and 4 of PC. Due for her 4th dtap at 18 months if I remember correctly. We didn't do rotavirus as she doesn't go to daycare. We have not done Hep B, Hep A nor chicken pox and I don't plan to for some time if ever (may not be able to get around Hep B and chicken pox for school). MMR is next but I think we will postpone that until she is 3-4 years old as if I recall correctly she won't need as many boosters then.

ETA: I did it this way so if my dd had a reaction to any shot, we knew exactly what shot it was.
Belbaby3728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Annedee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Delayed/Selective Vaxers - What does your schedule look like?

My DD is 5 months and we started vaxing at 2 months. I won't allow more than 1 shot at a time and I space them 4 weeks apart to give her immune system time to process the vaccine. We chose to do the combo shot with the TDap, polio, and Hib because we trust our pediatrician, since she has a baby 2 weeks younger than DD and she feels its safe enough to give to her own child. Anyways, at the 2, 4 & 6 month appts, she gets the combo shot and the Rotovirus oral vaccine. In between appts she gets the PCV vaccine. We aren't doing the Hep B at all. After her third PCV vaccine we get to take a few months off and I'm not sure what order we will do her vaccines in when she's 12 months.

I have a few reasons for doing 1 shot at a time. First, I used to have a dog and I once let the vet give all the shots to her at once and then my dog was lethargic for about 3 days. I was worried and in tears because I thought that something wasn't right since it lasted so long. From then on, I went in every 2 weeks almost all summer long to give her her yearly shots. I wasn't going to do any less than that for my child. Second, SIDS is likely caused by toxins, and reducing toxins as much as possible is what is best for babies. Third, if they only give one shot at a time, I get to hold her while they give it to her. I'm all about reducing the amount of trauma she has to endure. Of course, I don't even need to mention how important it can be to give one shot at a time in case there is a bad reaction from a shot; it would be great to know which one is causing the reaction!
Annedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
Stamina
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you both!
Stamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
DrusL8y
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't do any vaccinations besides the K shot shortly after birth. I think everyone should know the area they live in, immigration info, and what diseases are prevalent. Herd immunity is real as long as the majority of the herd is getting immunized! If the majority isn't, then it is entirely possible for a disease to spring up within your small population and do damage to maybe not your kid, but to a kid or family with history of immunity suppression, heart conditions, blood conditions, or any other condition that would deem them not as strong as others to fight serious illness. It really does happen! I think that's the question that my husband and I face everyday is whether we want/need to be part of the herd for the sake of the weaker or trust the herd we're living in to keep our kids safe from crazy risks. Parenting is no joke! We travel a lot too! So although I'm aware of my community, we and the people we associate with rarely stay in one place for long. Here's what we do:

Vitamin K at birth or shortly after (we birth at home or birth centers with midwives)
Rotavirus & DTaP at 3, 5, and 7 months
DTap again at 18 months and a booster at 4.5 years old
Hib & Prevnar at 4,6,8, and 15 months
IPV (Polio) 10 and 12 months, 2 years old, and a booster at 4 years old
MMR (still on the fence about this one) 2 and 4 years old
Hep A at 2.5 and 3.5 years old
Hep B at 3 years old, with 2 months between the first and second doses, third dose 6-18 months after the first dose
Varicella (chickenpox) (still on the fence about this one too) 1 dose somewhere between 4 and 6 years old, but only one dose if given earlier.

As a side note, Vitamin C daily for 5 days starting on the day of vaccination. So that's 150 mg daily for infants, 250 mg daily for toddlers and preschoolers, and 500 mg daily for older kids and teens.
DrusL8y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
DrusL8y
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't do any vaccinations besides the K shot shortly after birth. I think everyone should know the area they live in, immigration info, and what diseases are prevalent. Herd immunity is real as long as the majority of the herd is getting immunized! If the majority isn't, then it is entirely possible for a disease to spring up within your small population and do damage to maybe not your kid, but to a kid or family with history of immunity suppression, heart conditions, blood conditions, or any other condition that would deem them not as strong as others to fight serious illness. It really does happen! I think that's the question that my husband and I face everyday is whether we want/need to be part of the herd for the sake of the weaker or trust the herd we're living in to keep our kids safe from crazy risks. Parenting is no joke! We travel a lot too! So although I'm aware of my community, we and the people we associate with rarely stay in one place for long. Here's what we do:

Vitamin K at birth or shortly after (we birth at home or birth centers with midwives)
Rotavirus & DTaP at 3, 5, and 7 months
DTap again at 18 months and a booster at 4.5 years old
Hib & Prevnar at 4,6,8, and 15 months
IPV (Polio) 10 and 12 months, 2 years old, and a booster at 4 years old
MMR (still on the fence about this one) 2 and 4 years old
Hep A at 2.5 and 3.5 years old
Hep B at 3 years old, with 2 months between the first and second doses, third dose 6-18 months after the first dose
Varicella (chickenpox) (still on the fence about this one too) 1 dose somewhere between 4 and 6 years old, but only one dose if given earlier.

As a side note, Vitamin C daily for 5 days starting on the day of vaccination. So that's 150 mg daily for infants, 250 mg daily for toddlers and preschoolers, and 500 mg daily for older kids and teens.

Also I found this helpful! Let me know if the link doesn't work. It's on the CDCs website but it's the recommended and minimum ages and intervals between doses for each vaccine available. I wish the doctors gave out this information but something tells me that they don't know! You could easily come up with your own schedule based on your lifestyle and convictions based on this chart!

Last edited by DrusL8y; 04-18-2013 at 05:24 PM.
DrusL8y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Dr Greene has a book about vaccines w an alternate schedule you may find helpful. I found it particularly helpful when I approached my pediatrician about the alternate schedule.

Also consider your family hx. My DH has never had chicken pox despite several childhood exposures. He also had the vaccine. His titers are still negative. I chose to give my kids that vax more for DH than for them. If they got it, it would be dangerous for DH to catch it.
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote